Gender and Discourse. Communications & Media. Reaction Paper (Reaction Paper Sample)
American Military University
COMM285: Interpersonal Communications - Dr. Lori Kupczynski: Instructor
Choose from a selection of several chapters of books by scholar Deborah Tannen that are available electronically from the APUS library. As with the other option, your paper should be at least five pages (roughly 1,250 words) in length. Additional sources or references are not required for this assignment, but if you quote, paraphrase, or summarize a source (including the reading or the text), you must document it following APA format.
Please note that APA format is a requirement (double space). Writing should be a formal third person and professional writing in most cases but for this particular paper, because it is a personal reaction, you may write in first person. Note that this option gives you four questions as guidelines but you can ask additional questions as well. Utilize APA headings through the paper to show the questions you are answering (these and possibly more).
These are the questions/points to ponder that you can use to develop your reaction paper, but feel free to ask yourself additional questions. Remember that this paper should give your reaction to what you have read, meaning you may agree, disagree, or both. However, you cannot merely say you agree. You must explain why clearly.
1. After reading the selection you have chosen, think about either your own situation that reflects the subject of the reading or about situations with which you are familiar, or both. You should not use full names or real people, please! It is preferable to give people aliases rather than use their names.
2. Outline some of the characteristics of the communication situations described and analyzed in the reading.
3. Did you identify with the people and situations in the selection? How? If not, how do you engage differently in interpersonal communication in similar situations to the ones described and analyzed?
4. After reading the selection, what knowledge did you gain about interpersonal communication in general?
Topic choice and source is:
Gender and Discourse
Read Introduction and Chapter 3 (Introduction and Chapter 3 Uploaded)
Tannen, D. (1994). Gender and discourse. Retrieved from https://ebookcentral-proquest-com(dot)ezproxy1(dot)apus(dot)edu
In consideration of the linguistic analysis that has been introduced by Tannen, there is a clear pattern that is associated with the way that women and men communicate. This is an element that is associated with the dominance theme and at the same time the cultural context. Tannen correctly cites the fact that, whenever men and women are communicating, their interaction is affected by the element of dominance that is associated with the male precepts of being dominant over their female counterparts. As such, for the men, when in a conversation with a lady, the former take on a lecturer’s approach while the ladies take on a student’s stance. This means that much of the decisions in such a conversation are going to be coming from the man other than the woman. For the most part, women are supposed to be listening with little to no input. This is a common element when it comes to the workplace. For the most part, men have been given the leading roles where they make many of the decisions.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Manifest destiny Essays
- Trifles Essays
- Vietnam war Essays
- Ethics Essays
- Globalization Essays
- Kite runner Essays
- Drugs Essays
- Artificial intelligence Essays
- George washington Essays
- The crucible Essays
- Body image Essays
- Terrorism Essays
- Autism Essays
- Edgar allan poe Essays
- Mahatma gandhi Essays
- Progressive era Essays
- Comparison And Contrast Of Two Print AdsDescription: I must say that the overall presentation and color combination of this ad are remarkable. From the makeup of that lady to a smile on her face and to the text message displayed in the front....6 pages/≈1650 words | 7 Sources | APA | Communications & Media | Reaction Paper |
- SOST 110 Module 4 Discussion Topic: Forms of MediaDescription: What media do you primarily use to access current events? Why do you use it, and what do you like about it? Do you question news stories you see on this medium?...1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | Communications & Media | Reaction Paper |
- Communications and Media: Sex, Lies, MediaDescription: Communications and Media: Sex, Lies, Media ...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Communications & Media | Reaction Paper |