Organism Presentation Assignment: The American Alligator (Other (Not Listed) Sample)
You will document how your organism lives, works (gains energy), and generally interacts with the environment. Potential methods of documentation include photography, video, and audio recording. You should attempt to collect as much original media (photos, videos) on your organism as possible and then supplement with resources found on the web. ( This is a wilds animal I don't have any original photos.)
• Your presentation will be submitted as a weblink that you have created either from building a Prezi presentation or a Screencast-o-matic (SOM) of a slide presentation. Instructions for creating and uploading your presentation for either Prezi or SOM are below.
• If your presentation is a Prezi it must contain 10 – 20 elements (what we would call slides in power point). If your presentation is an SOM is must contain 12 – 20 slides and be no longer than 15 minutes in length.
• There must be a visual element (photos or videos).
• There must be a narrative component (audio or written narration).
I. Organism Introduction: your presentation must contain:
a. The common and scientific names of your organism
b. Where you observed your organism (e.g. country, state, park, zoo).
c. A discussion on why you selected this organism
d. If possible, a picture of you observing your organism safely in the field. ( I will take care of this)
II. Foraging Ecology: your presentation must address how your animal obtains its food. For example: the types of foods, the amount of food, the temporal pattern of feeding and specific handling or processing of food items by the organism (e.g. the way a squirrel manipulates an acorn).
III. Reproductive Ecology: your presentation must address how your animal reproduces. Include a discussion on the specific reproductive strategies (e.g. release of gametes by a fish or hermaphroditic reproduction in earthworms), mate choice, mating displays, mate competition and mating systems.
IV. Habitat: your presentation must discuss where your organism lives. This does not refer to a city or state; rather it is the natural environment in which your organism lives. Some factors to consider when discussing habitat include abiotic factors like soil or water as well as biotic factors like predators, prey or hosts.
V. Other Behaviors: your presentation must discuss other interesting behaviors of your organism. For example light sensitivity, tactile sensitivity, parental care, group formation, kin helpers, defenses, territoriality and cooperation.
The animal selected in this case is referred to as the American alligator. Scientifically, the American alligator is called Alligator mississippiensis. The reason for the selection of the animal is that, it is one of the most intriguing predators that are found in America and largely to the southeastern parts of the united states (Defenders of Wildlife, 2016).
One of the most important facts that set the American alligator apart from the rest of the animals is that it is an apex predator. This is the case when considering all of the range where it is found. Depending on the size, an alligator will have a varying diet. They are opportunistic feeders and will most of the cases feed on turtles, fish, birds, snakes among others (Defenders of Wildlife, 2016). Relative to the fact that they are opportunistic, their eating patterns are varied and will take what comes their way within their range to satisfy their dietary needs (Smithsonian's National Zoo, 2016). The hatchlings on the other hand will in most of cases feed on worms, l...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to animal right:
- The Animal Testing Definition Writing Assignment PaperDescription: Is animal testing cruel or a necessity? Compare the pros and cons about animal testing? If you had to pick would you say its a good thing or a bad and why?...3 pages/≈825 words | 2 Sources | MLA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- What Animals Live in Your Space Research AssignmentDescription: What is its relationship with other organisms? For example: what are its predators and prey? Does it depend on or closely interact with other species?...1 page/≈275 words | 2 Sources | APA | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Essay |
- Is Giving Nonhuman Primates Personhood Anthropocentric?Description: According to Akrivopoulou (2017), anthropocentrism is the viewpoint that human beings are the most significant entities in the universe....1 page/≈275 words | 4 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |