Psychology Assignment: Friday The 13th Horror Film
Instructions for the Movies About Mental Illness Project.
Each one will be worth a maximum of 20 points
1. Read the postings on these three web sites:
2. Choose one of the following movies and watch it. There is no particular order to these movies, and some are better at depicting mental illness than others. I am giving you a large selection to increase the chance that you will be able to find them--I doubt they'll be on Netflix, as some of them are quite old and were never big films to begin with. Local libraries would be good places to check for some of these classics.
3. Write your paper. Start with THE NAME OF THE MOVIE YOU WATCHED. Give a summary of the movie. You get to play the psychologist and make the diagnosis you feel best fits the character(s). Tell me what symptoms the character(s) exhibit, and how they fit the diagnostic profile for that illness. Does the character do or experience things that do not fit well with the diagnosis? Critique the film using the points discussed on the web sites. Is the film considered accurate in the depiction of mental illness, or is it biased to conform to the stereotypes that have been used in the media? How was the illness treated, and is the depiction of any therapists (doctors, psychologists, psychiatrists, nurses) reasonable or biased?
Also, I would like your personal reaction to the movie and the characters. If these people were among your family or friends, how do you think you would interact with the person? If you could give them some advice, what would it be? Please include any personal observations if you'd like. Submit your work in Dropbox.
Collateral (Tom Cruise and Jamie Foxx)
Benny & Joon
Lars and the Real Girl
The Fisher King
A Beautiful Mind
Requiem for a Dream
The Three Faces of Eve
Silver Linings Playbook
Boy Don't Cry
As Good as it Gets (this one is a little tricky)
It's Kind of a Funny Story
I Never Promised You a Rose Garden
Through a Glass Darkly
Friday The 13th
Date of submission
Friday The 13th
Friday The 13th (1980) is a horror film written and directed by Victor Miller and Sean S. Cunningham respectively. The movie is a slasher horror centered on several teenagers who are eagerly preparing for a holiday camp. However, this camp has been closed for many years after a curse for numerous murders and bad luck. At the camp, murders happen in chronological order committed by unseen murderers whom later was identified as Mrs. Voorhees and Jason. Initially, Mr. Steve Christie, an entrepreneur re-opens the Camp at Crystal Lake. As the rainstorm approaches, it sets the mood for fear with high tensions coupled with loneli
- Documentary Review: Human Beings Look For The AnswersDescription: Mankind has always been in engaged in an endless search for answers as none seemed to be really conclusive...6 pages/≈1650 words| 3 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Movie Review |
- Virginia WoolfDescription: Virginia Woolf was born in London in the year 1882 and lived to be a renowned English author, novelist, biographer and feminist in terms that are more specific...2 pages/≈550 words| 1 Source | APA | Literature & Language | Movie Review |
- Psychology Assignment: Friday The 13th Horror FilmDescription: Friday The 13th (1980) is a horror film written and directed by Victor Miller and Sean S. Cunningham respectively. ...3 pages/≈825 words| No Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Movie Review |