501 News Article Review: Census Burea (Essay Sample)
News Article Review Instructions
This week, you are required to submit brief essays, which discuss current news articles that relate to public policy. The purpose of this assignment is to encourage you to evaluate current public policy issues and their treatment in the media in light of the concepts covered in the readings and discussions occurring in the course. The news articles you select should illustrate a real-world application, or, where appropriate, a lack of application, of one or more of the concepts covered in the readings of the same module. Your essays should be critical reviews of the articles, meaning that you should provide your own analysis regarding the articles, rather than simply summarizing them.
Each review is due by the end of the module/week in which it is assigned. Review the News Article Review Grading Rubric to improve the quality of your essays and be sure to adhere to all of the specific guidelines described below.
News Article Selection Guidelines
The articles or news stories that you choose should be:
- found in a newspaper, on a news program, or from another reputable media source (including reputable internet sources),
- published within the last month,
- clearly illustrating the application, or failure to apply, one or more of the concepts covered in the course during the week/module of the assignment.
Each article review must cover different topics. Refrain from using follow-up pieces or multiple perspectives of the same topic. For example, if you find an article discussing a new government regulation in The New York Times, you cannot use a follow-up piece put out a few days later in the same newspaper or a different article in a different newspaper discussing the same topic.
Your essay should be 1-page, double-spaced. In the essay, you must summarize the article in order to demonstrate your comprehension of the content. Additionally, you should identify key elements discussed in the article and relate those elements back to concepts discussed in the course. Discuss whether the situation described in the article implements any of the concepts discussed in the course or if there are possible ways that concepts from the course could be implemented.
At the end of the essay, provide the complete citation for the article (including the publication date). If possible, you should include the actual article either by pasting it at the end of the document or by providing a link to the article. Format the essay and citation in current Turabian style.
1) News Article: “Poverty Rate Dropped in 2013, Alternative Measure Finds”, http://thehill(dot)com/policy/finance/220948-poverty-rate-dropped-in-2013-alternative-measure-finds
2) Alinsky, Rules for Radicals: A Pragmatic Primer for Realistic Radicals (1971) pp. 48-124
3) 1 biblical scriptures to incorporate into the paper to help support the issue or stance
THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX! – Add something within the writing that goes beyond what it is.
501 News Article Review 04
Name of institution:
The Census Bureau released a new report presenting that in 2013, the level of poverty in United States had slightly declined. The Bureau’s supplemental poverty measure shows that the level of poverty in the previous year was at 15.5%, which is a decline compared to 2012 when the rate was at 16%. The new report indicates that in 2013, the about 49 million US citizens are living below the poverty line. Many Americans lived under poverty due to inequality and marginalization, and these are issues that have been influenced by ineffective policies. Majority of the poor people come from the minority communities.
The government released report of the official poverty measure of last year, which stands at 14.5%; this is lesser than the supplemental rate. The supplemental poverty measure is more preferable to the official poverty measure because it can determine economic welfare and put into considerations of economic conditions and impacts of certain policies. It is due to inappropriate policies that have led to the persistence of the poverty level to certain geographical areas. Wh...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to poverty:
- An Analysis of Child Poverty in the USDescription: With reference to the article, child poverty has increased over the past few years compared to other countries that share similar status...1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | Turabian | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Poverty EssayDescription: Through this life, we are aware that poverty is one of the critical problems that most parts of the world are encountering and governments still have not found the right formula to solve it...5 pages/≈1375 words | 9 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- What Can Nurses Do?Description: Most of the population does not have the right health care services that they need, when they need and where they need it...1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |