Week 5 - Monday, February 24, 2020 (Inequality Dividing Communities) (Essay Sample)
please read and write a 300 word (or more) summary for:
1. Robert D. Putnam, Our Kids, Chapter 5: Community
2. Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl WuDunn, NY Times, Who Killed the Knapp Family? January 9, 2020.
3. Chris Hedges, Joe Sacco, Days of Destruction; Days of Revolt, Chapter 2: Days of Siege, Camden New Jersey, pp. 59-113, 2012.
I should note that you will see some other links in the Assignment. I would urge you to watch the 20/20 piece on Camden NJ. Its a few years old (2007) but unfortunately Camden is still very much in the same place today. So please do have a look. We won't be watching it in class but it makes a good connection with the reading by Chris Hedges and Joe Sacco.
Inequality Dividing Communities
Inequality has been on the increase in the US, and more people are poor or living below the poverty line while also lacking an opportunity to improve their prospects. Most of those who are affected the most include children who undergo many issues due to the economic problems. If a person comes from a poor background, then it also makes it harder for them to improve their lives.
Putman (2016) reveals that affluent and educated parents in the US have a diverse array of “weak ties,” which means casual connections in different social niches such as business executives, family friends, professors, and psychiatrists. Furthermore, 64% of rich kids have ties that go beyond their extended family, which they can rely on for mentoring, while for poor kids, 62% do not have such an opportunity (Putman, 2016). People prefer to keep to themselves, and they do not report instances where children commit crimes or other forms of misbehavior. Due to these issues, occurrences of crime and drug use have begun to increase in most neighb
- Inequality in Our kids Literature & Language EssayDescription: In the first chapter of "Our Kids: The American Dream in Crisis," Putman states his thesis while at the same time, narrates the expected concept. This chapter is a condensed version of the entire book and covers why the issues currently facing the United States. The book's main idea is about income...1 page/≈275 words | Other | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Underwear brand drops Christmas ad with gay couple sharing passionate kiss and homophobes ar. . .Description: Although homosexual marriages and relationships are legal in Australia, there are still heated debates whenever the issue arises, particularly on social media....1 page/≈275 words | Other | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Week 4 - Monday, February 10, 2020 (Global Capitalism (Neo-Liberalism) and MigrationDescription: Moving Millions: How Coyote Capitalism Fuels Global Immigration by Jeffrey Kaye centers on the effects of immigration. Jeffrey uses the term migrant to define immigration labor as legal and illegal....1 page/≈275 words | Other | Literature & Language | Essay |