Gun Control is Necessary to Reduce Gun Violence in Our Society (Essay Sample)
Gun control is necessary for our society
Unit #1: Advocacy Essay
Due February 14, at the beginning of class.
It is helpful to think of communication (oral, written, visual) as actions that DO something in and to the world. With this in mind, you will select a current social or ethical issue about which you feel passionately – perhaps one that reveals your values – and then write an essay in which you advocate – via argument – for action concerning that issue. This essay should include a call to action that persuades your readers to do something regarding your chosen issue/topic.
This assignment challenges you to become a strong advocate, one who uses language effectively to deliver convincing solutions to a current and pressing political/social/cultural/ethical problem.
What you choose to argue is up to you – you may wish to advocate for something that affects you personally (such as rising tuition costs), or for something that affects others (such as the damage done by BP Oil to the Ogoni people and their environment in Nigeria). I only ask that you refrain from writing about abortion and the legalization of marijuana. These topics have been written about repeatedly, and I want to see you push yourselves to generate unique insight and contribute original ideas about an issue.
Note: An effective advocacy essay starts strong, includes a clear thesis/argument, makes a call to action, uses facts and details (evidence), considers its audience, and uses an appropriate tone.
Papers should be typed in 12-point font and have one-inch margins. Be sure to include your name, the date, your class time, and a title. Word count: about 750-1000 (3-4 pages).
Gun Control is Necessary to Reduce Gun Violence in Our Society
State laws and federal legislation governing the ownership of guns in the United States have created an imminent threat to the internal security of the country. Although most citizens with gun ownership rights term it as personal defense, it has been evident that the use of guns in the U.S. has been on the rise over the years. The increase in the usage of guns by civilians has not yet restricted the type of firearms that can be owned by individuals allowing persons to get ownership rights to rifles and guns that have a high ammunition power. Rowhani-Rahbar et al (1765) note that there has been an increased rate of shooting on the streets of major cities in the U.S. in the past decade. Mass shootings in schools, in public and other gatherings such as churches, have been a common incidence in the United States. These cases of gun violence are attributed to uncontrolled gun ownership in the U.S. This paper argues that gun control through performing background checks, increasing age limits, and banning the sale of assault weapon ban will significantly reduce gun violence in our society.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Relationship Essays
- Plagiarism Essays
- Poems Essays
- Identity Essays
- Vaccination Essays
- Death penalty Essays
- Cold war Essays
- Song analysis Essays
- Animal cruelty Essays
- Kill a mockingbird Essays
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to gun control:
- Introducing Congress Term Limits Creative Writing PaperDescription: Free Spirit: Hey. How are you? Glad to see you today. I have been thinking about the issue of limiting Congress terms to two because I feel that career politics is bringing this country to a downfall. (Slippery Slope) It seems that politicians are more concerned with getting re-elected rather than doing...2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Creative Writing | Other (Not Listed) |
- School Start Times Literature & Language Research PaperDescription: Learning is one of the most important aspects of a person's life. It is through learning that people can build their career paths and, in turn, earn a living to sustain their families. The current school curriculum allows schools to start at 8 am, and it is believed that this decision was made based on...8 pages/≈2200 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Research Paper |
- Flaws in Argument. Business & Marketing. Research PaperDescription: Introduction Include a brief review of the article's argument. Include a statement that the argument has merit but also contains multiple flaws to indicate the direction of this paper. ...4 pages/≈1100 words | APA | Business & Marketing | Research Paper |