1 page/≈275 words
Compact Clause (Essay Sample)
Discuss the importance of the compacts clause in article I, section 10 of the constitution. You must incorporate at least 3 U.S. Supreme court cases in your answer. source..
(October 23, 2012)
The compact clause states “No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay”. (US Constitution, Article I, Sec. 10, Clause 3).
The clause has been a very instrumental element in settling differences that occur between states that may be either due to governmental activities or natural resources management and exploitation among others. It has remained a reference point when controversies erupt between states and resolves them effectively and permanently; in addition, it restricts the states from initiating attacks on others unless congress consents to it.
An example is the case in the Supreme Court that involve fourteen states bordering the Mississippi river and the Great Lakes; where the use and management of the resource continue to be a controversial issue. It has its link to colonial times where disputes arising from boundaries would be resolved using the compact. The congress would validate any agreements between states and hence have a say when the deals were not met.
After its adoption to the US federal constitution in 1789 the compact has been effective in dealing with issues arising between states and have been functional in territory cases of boundary and cessions; managing and utilization of natural resources; penal jurisdiction; interstate accounting; legislation uniformity; regulation of utility; taxation; natural resources conservations; institutions and education;...
Get the Whole Paper!
Not exactly what you need?
Do you need a custom essay? Order right now:
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Supreme Court's Commerce Clause JurisprudenceDescription: Social Sciences Essay: Supreme Court's Commerce Clause Jurisprudence...1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | MLA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Judicial Activism and Judicial RestraintDescription: Social Sciences: Judicial Activism and Judicial Restraint...1 page/≈275 words | 2 Sources | MLA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- CapitalismDescription: Social Sciences Essay: Capitalism...7 pages/≈1925 words | 5 Sources | MLA | Social Sciences | Essay |