Choose One Music Celebrity: My Favorite Band (Essay Sample)
Write a 500-750 word essay using description as the chief method of development. Follow the guidelines for formatting as described in Notes on Writing a Descriptive Essay.
All essays require an outline. The outline can be a topic or sentence outline, and it must be placed in the same file as the essay. There are examples of outlines in your text.
Purpose: to inform
Method of Development: description
For a topic for description, see the list at the end of Chapter 3, Description, in The Longman Reader. Choose one, or notify me through Messages if you have a topic of your own that you would prefer to use. Be sure that you are writing a descriptive essay, not a narrative.
Brainstorm for topics.
Accumulate as many details as you can about your topic, and then sift through them, discarding those that are irrelevant, weak, or unrelated to the impression you would like to convey.
Organize your ideas.
Use vivid language and varied sentence structure.
Check the syllabus for due dates.
As your text points out, ï¿½ Description can be a supportive technique that develops part of an essay, or it can be the dominant technique used throughout an essayï¿½ (79). In this essay assignment, description will be the dominant technique used to develop a distinct impression of your topic. Remember that description must appeal to the senses: taste, touch sound, sight, smell. While you need not appeal to every sense in your essay, be sure to give the reader enough description so that he/she can be a part of your topicï¿½s development. You may certainly use figurative language in your descriptions ï¿½ simile, metaphor, personification, etc. In any case, be aware of your audience (your classmates) and your tone. Your choice of words may greatly influence your readerï¿½s impression of your topic. Be careful to present your topic as you would like it to be interpreted.
My Favourite Band
1 Introduction- An event that I cannot get out my mind: The concert of my favourite band.
2 Arrival to the concert
* A long queue to enter the concert
* People groomed in funny attires
* Everyone talking about the band’s performance
3 The Concert
* The hall was overcrowded
* People singing and dancing
* Bands: One Direction, Linkin Park, Cold Play and Marron 5
4 Completion of the Concert
* It was a chilly night
* Everyone talking about how great the concert was
* People selling sandwiches and drinks
5 Conclusion- I experienced all sense in the concert making it the most memorable event.
It was a Halloween night, and I vividly remember the day since my favourite band, One Direction was performing live in our town. It was a dream that had come into a reality since I had never seen the band live. Everyone had worn a crazy attire to mark the night. Throughout the evening, I experienced many sensations with the aid of my five senses. From the alluring club lights, sounds, screams of people enjoying the night to the aroma of the meals at the end of the concert. I have never had such a crazy and exciting night.
I arrived at the concert at 7 o’clock. The queue to enter the show was longer that I expected. It took me almost an hour...
- Smoking In Public Places Harmful To The Health Description: Smoking has even been integrated into cultures, its harmful to the health of not only the smoker but also person inhaling the passing smoke....2 pages/≈550 words | No Sources | MLA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Values and Priorities for High School and College LevelsDescription: Essay on Compare or Contrast values and priorities of students today (in college) with those they may have held when in high school...3 pages/≈825 words | 2 Sources | MLA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Sociology Summary: Terrorism In North-Eastern NigeriaDescription: Domestic terrorism in North-Eastern Nigeria. The paper notes that domestic terrorism impedes states institutions and economic development. ...1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | MLA | Social Sciences | Essay |