Précis Analysis and Review Author and Text Summarized in the Précis (Essay Sample)
For each précis you will be asked to summarize clearly and concisely, and in your own words (no quotations!), the assigned reading for that class period. The goal of the précis is to explain the reading so well that even a family member or friend could understand the gist without their having read the text themselves. The précis should be sure to include:
• Mention of the author and text summarized in the précis.
• An explicit statement of the main claim(s) made, along with an explanation of what each claim
means. If a claim involves technical or unclear terminology, the terms should be explained.
• A brief explanation as to why the author is bothering to make this claim or set of claims.
• If the aim of the author is to justify a claim, the argument(s) justifying the claim should be
• If the aim of the author is to explain a claim, that explanation should be summarized.
• The précis should conclude by raising either a question or potential criticism.
Précis Analysis and Review
Author and Text Summarized in the Précis
The book is written by Crawford. The introduction of the book gives the reader a background to the decline of ‘shop class’ in the United States of America, and the thesis that Crawford is arguing in all the chapters is that the manual occupations in the market still remain crucial to the contemporary life since the society relies heavily on material goods. Individuals who maintain, make, and repair things have become increasingly important as evidence in the case of the high amount of money paid to plumbers for unlocking drains. The author also points to the fact that it is ironical that the current education system remains centered on preparing ‘knowledge workers’ instead of entrepreneurs and technicians.
- The Chinese Luna Year Religion & Theology Essay PaperDescription: The Chinese New Year, which is also known as the Spring Festival, is the most significant holiday recognized by the Chinese people (Refkin and Borgla 34). It marks the first day of the month as determined by the Chinese traditions before they used the Gregorian calendar....3 pages/≈825 words | MLA | Religion & Theology | Essay |
- Outline and summary. Huston Smith Eightfold Path. EssayDescription: Huston Smith outlines eight steps to take to stay on the proper path. The steps further highlight ways that one can follow to live a purposeful and fulfilling life. ...1 page/≈275 words | MLA | Religion & Theology | Essay |
- Modern Political Thought Final Exam Essay Religion & Theology EssayDescription: Democracy is a constitutional right for every citizen of a country. Though optimum democracy is never really achieved, the sense of being able to decide who makes the major decisions for you is a right that individual yearns to enjoy. Over the years people have come to embrace democracy...6 pages/≈1650 words | MLA | Religion & Theology | Essay |