Hinduism Caste System Religion & Theology Essay Paper (Essay Sample)
1. Describe a ritual
-Caste system in Hinduism
2. summarize an article of your choosing that highlights the ritual.
3 why this is important to the study of religion and the tradition you have chosen.
Questions to consider:
How does the ritual or practice contribute to the identity of the religious community? What does it say about their concept of God? What does it communicate about their ultimate purpose?
What myths relate to the ritual, and how are they important to the news story?
Does this story include any other religions?
Are there any similar rituals in your own tradition that compare to the ritual you have explored for this paper?
How does your own religious or anti religious perspective impact your interpretation of problem/issue presented in this article?
Hinduism Caste System
Description of Hinduism Caste System
Caste is a system in the Hindu community that has lasted for over 2000 years. The ritual entails segregation of people in various categories where they are enclosed and cannot escape.
“The caste system divides Hindus into four main categories - Brahmins, Kshatriyas, Vaishyas and the Shudras. Many believe that the groups originated from Brahma, the Hindu God of creation.” (BBC)
It is believed that the groups originated from the Hindu God of creation popularly Known as Brahma. Brahmins, who occupy the top level of the caste are believed to have been created from Brahma's head, and they are mainly intellectuals. Kshatriyas occupy the second topmost level in the caste hierarchy, and they consist mostly of rulers and warriors. The third category of caste hierarchy is occupied by the Vaishyas, who are traders are believed to have been created from Brahma's thighs. Shudras, believed to have been made from the feet occupies the bottom level of the hierarchy and are associated with menial jobs. The caste system has created a rift between Hindus at the top level, and the lowest level as more Hindus at the bottom level faces a lot of suppression from colleagues at the top level.
Summary of the Article
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to religion:
- Gender studies Essay. Religion & Theology Assignment.Description: COVID-19 has rapidly spread to different parts of the world since the end of 2019, when the first cases were reported in China. Currently, all regions worldwide have reported several cases of persons testing positive for COVID-19....5 pages/≈1375 words | APA | Religion & Theology | Essay |
- The Greeks On Homosexuality. Discussion board. Religion & TheologyDescription: Greeks normalized inter-male sexual relationships because they viewed it as a means to affirm and strengthen bonds between soldiers (Loader, p. 31). ...1 page/≈275 words | MLA | Religion & Theology | Other (Not Listed) |
- Nature and God and its co-existence. Religion & Theology EssayDescription: There is an intricate and highly interconnecting relationship between God and nature. Nature has often been using as a manifestation of God’s presence....4 pages/≈1100 words | APA | Religion & Theology | Essay |