Ecclesiology Journal. Religion and Theology Essay (Essay Sample)
The following video by Jefferson Bethke went viral immediately after it was posted. Bethke makes multiple assertions about religion (as the institutionalized church). Explain and evaluate one of these assertions. Construct a response in light of this week's lecture material, readings, and biblical texts (Brunner must be one of your two sources).
Here are some public responses to Bethke's original video: "How to Fight the Man" and "Churchless Jesus."
A journal question for the weekly theological topic will draw on major themes from other common core
courses, contemporary political and ethical situations, perennial Christian debates, and common life
experiences. Each student will submit a 300-word journal in Blackboard that includes:
1) Substantive reflection on the weekly journal prompt.
• Substantive reflection entails following prompt instructions to examine, evaluate, and/or construct ideas
(not merely a personal response or “here’s what I think” statements).
2) Incorporation of two sources from the week’s lecture and study materials.
• Incorporating sources from the week enables students to bring ideas together, find connections, or
engage further with the material. Make a note of the source and page number is parenthesis after using
lecture and study materials. Due to the brief length of these posts, avoid extensive quotes. Instead, quote
helpful phrases or words.
The Journal prepares students for seminar discussions, develops the ability to utilize theological language and
ideas, and provides practice in constructing a theological response to a particular situation. Students are
responsible for bringing a paper or electronic copy to seminar for use in the discussion.
Instructors use the following rubric to assess journals:
5- Substantive reflection AND use of 2 sources from lecture/study folder
4- Insightful reflection and use of 1-2 sources
3- Minimal (or maybe adequate) reflection and minimal use of sources
2- Does not address the question of the prompt OR offers only personal opinion
1- Disregard for the assignment
0- Assignment not submitted
You might never have thought of picking Jefferson Bethke out of the lineup, but your children will definitely do. He is, no doubt, a YouTube star and the creator of “Churchless Jesus.” His video went viral in no time and was viewed by over 10 million people in a few hours. The number of views is counting day by day, and all this is because of Jefferson Bethke’s unique idea and presentation (Richter 2018).
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to religion:
- Human Person Journal. Religion and Theology Essay.Description: According to Angelica Dass, despite all advancements in science and technology, we still live in a society where our skin color is considered more important than personal traits or characteristics. ...1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | MLA | Religion & Theology | Essay |
- Revelation Journal. Religion and Theology Essay.Description: God reveals himself through the air we breathe in, the world we live in, and the things that surround us. Jesus Christ has always represented the fullness of Divine Revelation in one way or the other, and we should never doubt on God’s creation and his laws....1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | MLA | Religion & Theology | Essay |
- Holy Spirit and Salvation Journal. Religion & Theology EssayDescription: In his book titled Spirit of Love, Amos Yong argues that God is love, God is the spirit, and he can create feelings of love in our heart in seconds. In one of its chapters, the author mentions that the Spirit’s gifts certainly strengthen our faith in God as well as his existence (Yong 99)....1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | MLA | Religion & Theology | Essay |