Précis. You will be required to write10 précis over the course of the semester (Essay Sample)
You will be required to write ten précis over the course of the semester. Each précis will be exactly one page, double-spaced. For each précis you will be asked to summarize clearly and concisely, and in your own words (no quotations!), the assigned reading for that class period. The goal of the précis is to explain the reading so well that even a family member or friend could understand the gist without their having read the text themselves. The précis should be sure to include:
• Mention of the author and text summarized in the précis.
• An explicit statement of the main claim(s) made, along with an explanation of what each claim
means. If a claim involves technical or unclear terminology, the terms should be explained.
• A brief explanation as to why the author is bothering to make this claim or set of claims.
• If the aim of the author is to justify a claim, the argument(s) justifying the claim should be
• If the aim of the author is to explain a claim, that explanation should be summarized.
• The précis should conclude by raising either a question or potential criticism.
Delbanco (2012) in College: What It Was, Is, and Should Be who focuses on the relationship between college teachers and students. The author suggests that students only have tacit knowledge, and teachers are responsible for releasing knowledge into consciousness. College is a time for students to try out new ideas. Elite institutions have been vital in preparing students for competitive roles in leadership in higher education, government, and business (Delbanco 13). The author also suggests that college students, especially those from poor backgrounds, have to deal with various problems.
- Reflection Journal #1. Components of Attitude. LiteratureDescription: One's attitude towards something is essential in all aspects of life, such as school and work. Having a positive attitude is contagious since the people around you will also develop the same manner. ...1 page/≈275 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Comparison with Malala Literature & Language EssayDescription: Having a relationship with a parent is one of the most critical aspects of children’s growth. The parent-child relationship is needed to nurture the emotional, physical and emotional development of an infant. The relationship determines the personality of a child and influences their overall behavior....2 pages/≈550 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- For Preventing the Children of Poor People in IrelandDescription: The author Jonathan Swift uses a lot of reason to present his ideas in his work “Modest Proposal.” In this particular work, Swift criticizes the government and the rich masses in an ironic and satirical manner because of their obvious efforts to ignore the plight of the people of Ireland who are living...2 pages/≈550 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |