Hand Gesture & Peace Sign. Literature & Language Essay (Essay Sample)
During the late 1960's throughout the 1980's the hand symbol for peace was a 2 fingered gestured "V". Originally it came from the idea of Victory during WW2.
How and when did the upright "V" finger gesture become the sideways ">" finger gesture?
Does it mean the same thing?
Who changed it?
Has there been questions and or controversy over the changing of a hand gesture/symbolic gesture that has been accepted by so many people and different cultures over such a long period of time?
And is this true about the cultural acceptance of this "peace" symbol/gesture? Has it been adopted by many cultures or does this gesture/symbol have a different meaning in different cultures around the world and around this country?
Hand Gesture & Peace Sign.
Hand Gesture & Peace Sign.
In the late 1960s throughout 1980s, the V hand gesture was a standard way of passing information of Victory. Individuals would raise their index and middle fingers while clenching other fingers; to make a V shape to signify an act of winning over their opponents. At that moment, for approximately 100 years of struggle, the French military would chop off the index and middle fingers of the bowmen from England to prevent them from shooting anymore (Dougherty, 2016).
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Kill a mockingbird Essays
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to language essays:
- AMST. Killing Us Softly. Literature & Language EssayDescription: Women appear to have become accustomed to being considered inferior to men to a point where they cannot support each other. A good example is Hillary Clinton’s run for the presidency. A 2018 Pew Research Center Study reports that Hillary Clinton got 45% of white women vote compared to 47%...1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Disaster Preparedness Paper. Literature & Language EssayDescription: Disaster preparedness is one of the most significant things in today's society. The society is normally exposed to numerous disasters such as diseases outbreak, the acts of terrorism or even biological warfare....4 pages/≈1100 words | 4 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Language Assignment: KannadaDescription: In this paper, I have chosen Kannada as the main language, and I aim to explore its brief history, different phases of development and how and which other languages it has been influenced from, as well the level of inter-translatability Kannada has with its neighboring languages....4 pages/≈1100 words | 2 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |