Wk 4 Discussion - Gender Roles. Literature & Language Essay (Essay Sample)
Wk 4 Discussion - Gender Roles
Respond to the following in a minimum of 175 words:
Fairy tales often reinforce traditional gender roles and heteronormativity. A popular genre of fiction novels today is the fractured fairy tale where the traditional tale is retold in an entirely new way. Viewing traditional tales and gender roles from different perspectives allows the reader to gain new insights into both modern and earlier cultures and to recognize the ongoing influence fairy tales has on contemporary society.
• How are gender roles portrayed in the tales we’ve read this week? Do they adhere to traditional gender expectations?
• What messages do the stories convey about the relationships between genders? For what purpose would traditional gender roles and heteronormative expectations be reinforced in fairy tales?
• Do you agree with the way the characters are portrayed? Why or why not?
• How would the lessons or messages change if the gender roles were reversed? Use examples to support your statements.
This week’s reading can be found here:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=bks&hl=en&q=the+annotated+classic+fairy+tales(the first book listed: The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales by Maria Tartar)
Read the following selections of The Annotated Classic Fairy Tales:
• Ch. 4 - "Beauty and the Beast" (pp. 58-78)
• Ch. 5 - "Snow White" (pp. 79-94)
• Ch. 6 - "Sleeping Beauty" (pp. 95-104)
• Ch. 7 - "Rapunzel" (pp. 105-114)
• Ch. 8 - "The Frog King, or Iron Heinrich" (pp. 115-122)
• Ch. 24 - Hans Christian Andersen: "The Princess and the Pea" (pp. 284-287)
• "Jeanne-Marie Leprince de Beaumont" (p. 340)
The different tales covered throughout the week offer insights about gender roles, and they also promote the traditional expectations about gender disparities. For instance, the “Beauty and the Beast” has addressed the case of Beauty, a young girl who decided to help her father after he lost his fortune. The differences in gender roles are depicted through the activities undertaken by the members of the merchant’s family.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Vaccination Essays
- Death penalty Essays
- Cold war Essays
- Song analysis Essays
- Animal cruelty Essays
- Kill a mockingbird Essays
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to gender role:
- Final Paper. Writing in the style of an Op-Ed students will select a current eventDescription: Gender discrimination is a common issue nowadays on various aspects such as labor, health services, education, politics, and cultural beliefs. ...1 page/≈275 words | MLA | Social Sciences | Term Paper |
- Gender and Violence against Women. Psychology Research PaperDescription: Violence against women is a global pandemic that takes varied forms. These acts of violence have led to the suffering of many girls and women. It also has significant consequences to the victims and their families. This research explores the psychology of gender and identifies...6 pages/≈1650 words | APA | Psychology | Research Paper |
- Annotated Bibliography for class women in transitional worldDescription: The various studies on the gender and sexuality of Chinese women from earlier decades have not only enriched the gender research and feminist theories but also complicated it as well. ...4 pages/≈1100 words | MLA | Social Sciences | Annotated Bibliography |