The Chinese kitchen: memories of my food. Literature & Language Essay (Essay Sample)
1. What memories does Eileen Yin-Fei Lo have of her grandmother’s kitchen, and what role did Buddhist and Confucian thought play in her grandmother's eating and cooking?
2. According to her, what medicinal properties are associated with Chinese food?
3. Please give a summary of the history of Chinese food culture through the dynasties as recounted by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo, beginning with Yangshao culture and up through Qing (Ching) dynasty. What are some important texts dealing with Chinese food culture that she cites, and what was found in Han dynasty tombs that helped shed light on Chinese food history?
Please upload your 1-2 page response to the above questions to Canvas in a separate Word file, and base your responses on Eileen Yin-Fei Lo, “The Chinese Kitchen: Memories of My Food," which you can find online under "Readings." If you choose to write more than 2 pages, that is fine, but your responses should be drawn from the reading (not from web searches) and should represent your own work.
The Chinese Kitchen: Memories of My Food
1 What memories does Eileen Yin-Fei Lo have of her grandmother’s kitchen, and what role did Buddhist and Confucian thought play in her grandmother's eating and cooking?
Eileen Yin-Fei Lo’s grandmother whom she calls Ah Paw consulted an astrological book before stating to preparing special dumplings during the Chinese New Year. Ah Paw was a committed Buddhist who did not eat fish or meat on the firs and fifteenth day of each month and the fifteen days of the New Year (3). The grandmother was keen to prepare meals in the proper manner such as the fish and she insisted that one was not to shout in the kitchen. Emphasis on manners discipline, tradition and proper behavior in life and even in the kitchen influenced the writer’s perceptions of the methods and philosophies of cooking.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Learning styles Essays
- Same sex marriage Essays
- Animal right Essays
- Slavery Essays
- Teenage pregnancy Essays
- American dream Essays
- Immigration Essays
- Racism Essays
- Global warming Essays
- Religion Essays
- Gay marriage Essays
- Police brutality Essays
- Love Essays
- Animal testing Essays
- Obesity in america Essays
- World war 1 Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to memories:
- How Does Sleep Affect Our Long term and Short term memory?Description: The capacity to create memories is essential for humans, primarily due to changing environmental needs. Studies that show the benefits of sleep to memory have been the focus of experimental research. Sleep is a reversible and natural period of minimized receptiveness to external actions,...5 pages/≈1375 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Analysis of the english patient. Discuss the idea of war or relationships in The English Pat. . .Description: The characters in The English patient create ideas in the development of the war period. Although the period might have various instabilities triggered by the war, the perceptions in the community impact the population negatively....4 pages/≈1100 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Book Review |
- Read the prompt and pick one as what you want. Digital NecromancyDescription: Digital necromancy has sparked a lot of debates with some people for and others against the practice. It is the posthumous resurrection of digital images of celebrities such that they can engage in activities such as walking, talking and even acting CITATION Adr15 \l 1033 (Kapcar)....2 pages/≈550 words | MLA | Visual & Performing Arts | Essay |