“Another Lullaby for Insomniacs” by A.E. Stallings (Essay Sample)
Imagine for this assignment that you are a literary critic and will be published in a leading literary magazine.
Read: A. E. Stallings “Another Lullaby for Insomniacs”
Write a 350- to 700-word essay that reflects on what you liked about the poem or what drew you to it.
Consider the following areas in your response:
• Identify common elements, structures, forms, and terminology of the poem.
• Describe the use of imagery, symbolism, and figurative language in the writer used.
• Consider also the central idea and the emotional impact.
Format your essay with title page consistent with MLA guidelines as this is meant as a formal writing assignment for this course.
“Another Lullaby for Insomniacs” by A.E. Stallings
“Another Lullaby for Insomniacs” by A.E. Stallings is a simple but interesting piece of art to read. The title lures one to want to read more on how a lullaby may soothe insomnia to sleep. Oxymoron is also brought out in the title in the sense that insomnia is a sleep disorder. Thus, a lullaby may not make one fall asleep. Similarly, the rhythm throughout the poem and repetition of the lines gives the reader a sense of a song and draws one to understand what the poet is trying to bring out. The narrator utilizes pantoum in this poem. This means that despite the author having five stanzas in each quatrain, only ten of the twenty lines are unique. The second line of the poem’s stanza is the first line of the following stanza as the last line becomes the second final of the next stanza. However, the last stanza differs in this pattern as the second and last (fourth) lines of the penultimate becomes the last stanza’s first and third lines. The circularity in this poem is satisfying and makes one want to continue reading.
Restlessness as a theme in the poem is evident though, brought out in a personified character of sleep
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to song analysis:
- Twelfth Night Soundtrack: Love For OliviaDescription: Jon B. - Pretty Girl r&b music would work a long way in this scene to describe the beauty of Olivio in Orsino's eyes and his desire to have her in his life....3 pages/≈825 words | No Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Coursework |
- Pre-Class Assignment: Data analysisDescription: I would recommend that teachers ought to be mindful of the essence of a supportive student-centered pedagogy, especially on data analysis....1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | Education | Essay |
- Copyright (Bill C-11) Canada Digital SystemsDescription: The excerpt below seeks to compare and contrast some of the differences between these two laws (Government of Canada, 2012). Additionally, the paper will look at one case law that would be relevant in explaining the distinct differences between these two laws....4 pages/≈1100 words | 10 Sources | APA | Communications & Media | Essay |