History Essay: The Compromise of 1850 (Essay Sample)
This SHORT essay should be no more than 2 paragraphs with a THESIS as the first sentence in the first paragraph. This section is worth 20%.
1. Why was the Compromise of 1850 needed? What does it do? And is it successful?
2. What led to Bleeding Kansas? How does popular sovereignty and the Calhoun Doctrine figure into scenario? Why is it important?
Date of Submission
The Compromise of 1850 was needed to achieve temporary political balance on the issue of slavery and address the issue of new lands acquired after the Mexican-American war. It also led to the decision of popular sovereignty on slavery that contributed to similar demands for Kansas territory leading to violence termed as Bleeding Kansans. The issue of admitting the newly acquired lands from the Mexican-American war as either free or slave states had become increasingly heated. The south was furious when President Zachary Taylor declared California wanted to be admitted into the Union as a free state. When Taylor died a few months later, a compromise was needed to calm the two factions (North and South). Kentucky Senator Henr...
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to slavery:
- Ethical Implications of RacismDescription: This paper will discuss ethical implications of racism by considering how language convey emotions. Frederick Douglass was an outspoken abolitionist. He was born in 1818 in Maryland where he later escaped because his freedom was threatened....2 pages/≈550 words | 1 Source | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Comparison of the Chinese and Africans at AmericaDescription: he book is worth reading as Lee found a way to talk about the forgotten journey, success and hardships faced by the Chinese at the time. The essay discusses the comparisons of the Chinese and Africans in America....7 pages/≈1925 words | 3 Sources | MLA | History | Essay |
- The Antebellum South Institutional AffiliationDescription: 1.Why was slave labor still used in the South in the mid 1800s? 2.What are the economics of slavery? 3.Describe Southern society and the social hierarchy. 4.How did white Southern elites control Southern society and maintain the plantation system?...1 page/≈275 words | 3 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Coursework |