Debate Over Slavery. Proslavery Authors History Research Paper (Essay Sample)
Read the following pro- and anti-slavery documents
-George Fitzhugh Advocates Slavery
-Disease and Peculiarities of the Negro Race
-James Henry Hammond Advocates Slavery
-David Walker's Appeal
-Frederick Douglass, "What to the Slave Is the Fourth of July?"
-The American Anti-Slavery Society: Declaration of Sentiments
Consider these questions as you read through the above sources (ALL of these questions need to be addressed in your essay):
1. How do these authors justify slavery?
2. According to these authors, what place do slaves have in society?
3. What derisive stereotypes of African Americans are found in these proslavery documents?
1. Why do they believe slavery needs to be abolished?
2. What specific criticisms do they have about American society?
3. How do these authors view African Americans (in contrast to the stereotypes offered by proslavery authors)? How do the authors view African Americans place in society?
Spend AT LEAST one page discussing EACH position (one page discussing the proslavery perspective and one page discussing the abolitionist perspective). Plan to be comprehensive in your coverage of the readings (there is no maximum page limit). Your answer should reflect the main points from each assigned reading, and ALL of the above readings should be addressed in your essay. Use examples from the readings to illustrate your main points.
Use quotations when using the exact wording from the reading and cite the reading at the end of the sentence [ex: if you quoted from the Walker reading, simply put (Walker) at the end of the reading – this lets me know which reading the quote is taken from].
When you write your essay, don't just go reading by reading; rather, see what common themes are found in the readings for both perspectives and write paragraphs based on themes rather than examining each reading individually. Yes, this requires more thought, but then your essay won't read like an extended book report on each article. If you have any questions, just let me know and I'll be more than happy to help.
Use only the above sources for this assignment: DO NOT USE ANY OUTSIDE SOURCES FOR THIS ASSIGNMENT. If you do, you will receive a “0” for the assignment. Your essay should be uploaded as Word document (no PDF files).
Proslavery Authors are authors who supported and wrote claims that justified slavery. Dr. Cartwright broadly claimed that God had given the whites power over the blacks. He stated that it would be wrong for the masters (whites) to free the blacks since they would despise them, and Negroes were meant to be under whites (De Bow, pp1-3). He outlined that freeing the Negroes from slavery would lead to a disorganized society with many societal problems since Negroes were uncivilized.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Romeo and juliet Essays
- Time management Essays
- Sport Essays
- Buddhism Essays
- Community service Essays
- Hate crime Essays
- Lord of the flies Essays
- Macbeth Essays
- Basketball Essays
- Pearl harbor Essays
- New york city Essays
- Odyssey Essays
- Donald trump Essays
- Gender inequality Essays
- Great depression Essays
- Happiness Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to slavery:
- Causes and Impacts of the civil war in America. History Term PaperDescription: The civil war in America originated from differences between the individuals living in various parts of the country. The conflicts happening between the North and South America affected the regions significantly but in different ways. While the North region had had independence and fought against slavery...5 pages/≈1375 words | MLA | History | Term Paper |
- Jim Crow. The Case for Reparations. Social Sciences Research PaperDescription: African Americans have a unique history that cannot be separated from slavery. Blacks have undergone numerous challenges even after the end of slavery. The inability to access resources has made it challenging for blacks to progress. White supremacy and oppressive institutional practices...5 pages/≈1375 words | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- The book name: William L. Barney, The Making of a ConfederateDescription: The author's thesis of the book mainly focuses on a white by the name Walter Lenoir. He uses his character to persuade the reader on what role he played in the secessionist movement....3 pages/≈825 words | MLA | History | Book Review |