COMM 538 Project 1 Assignment: Transcription (Essay Sample)
COMM 538 Project 1: Transcription (2-3 pages, 12 pt Times New Roman, 1 inch margins)
Follow the instructions on p.32 in the Cameron textbook (also PDF of p.32 on iLearn).
Additionally, make sure your transcription includes:
1. A transcription notation key (all symbols must represent sounds! See examples in Chapter 3 or in the footnotes of the Tannen article).
2. A brief mention of the context (who, where, what they're doing, etc.).
3. Number or letter all your lines, and be sure to refer to the line #s in your answers to the 5 questions in part 3 on p. 32.
Your Professor's Name
February 4, 2018
Setting: University Activity Center
Time: 8:00 p.m.
Context: Casually talking with friends, “Emma (E) and Jose”. Emma noticed his friend's new shoes. Conversation Shifted to topics about shoes.
Emma: I thought you were buying new ones for the tryouts?
Jose: Yeah, I was looking at the Department store yesterday but I don't know what I like. Are your free tomorrow morning [referring to us]
Me: Yeah, why not. We're actually going to the mall tomorrow to pick up some things [referring to my niece].
Emma: (Shrugged) I'm not sure yet since we might have a remedial lesson tomorrow afternoon. I'm actually super stressed out, Miss _______ is actually strict with the requirements.
Jose: Don't worry, haha (chuckle). You know I think it's kinda fine even if it's only the both of us. I just need a second opinion.
Emma: Are you sure? I'll try to make it up to you next time. Anyways, why don't we grab some food from the caf [cafeteria]?
Me: Let's go, I'm super… hungry…
(5min:20sec)… (walking) [indistinct chatter, inaudible] …
Jose: [falling in line]Me: J, Can you grab me a glass water on your way to the table? Thanks (smirk)
Jose: Sure, anything else?
Me: Nope, thanks. We'll try to find a vacant one
Me: (walking, sat in an empty table) I just remembered that we have to buy the t-shirts for the new members [o
- Distortion of Sound Documentary Research Assignment PaperDescription: After viewing the documentary, do you think it is better to have a few high quality audio files or many lower quality files even if it is hard to tell the difference?...2 pages/≈550 words | 1 Source | MLA | Communications & Media | Essay |
- Describe A Moment When You Challenged A Belief Or IdeaDescription: how you will pursue your intellectual interests and apply your personal experience, background, and future goals within our programs. This is the opportunity for us to hear your voice, and to help us envision what you will bring to the Daniels Faculty. ...2 pages/≈550 words | No Sources | MLA | Communications & Media | Essay |
- Listening to Music for Relaxation Media Writing Assignment Description: At the start of the listening assignment, I was a bit nervous since I did not know what to expect. This is despite trying to breathe in and out for a number of times with an effort to try and calm myself down. ...1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | MLA | Communications & Media | Essay |