Musical Experiences. Visual & Performing Arts Essay (Essay Sample)
We have tracked the Objet Sonore from the invention of Phonograph—literally an Object onto which Sound is inscribed—to the Sample—which translates acoustic signal into data. What story does this progression tell about how Artists work with recorded sound to make new experiences?
Paul D. Miller is both a composer who performs under the name DJ Spooky, and a media theorist, who publishes widely on Sound Art. His essay, Sonic Sculptures, from 2004, was published at the dawn of social media and meme culture. Miller likens the DJ to a visual artist who makes "dematerialized sculpture", evoking Pierre Schaeffer's concept of the Objet Sonore. The DJ's role is also to research—Rhythm Science.
1. Start by reading Paul Miller's essay, Sonic Sculptures.
2. Choose one specific Sentence from the essay that you want to respond to, as a thesis.
Example: "Sampling allows people to replay their own memories of the sounds and situations of their lives."
3. First summarize what Miller means.
4. Choose an specific example of an artist who works in one of the Sampledelic cultures we are studying—Hip Hop, Plunderphonics, Microsampling, Vaporwave. Pick one song/video of theirs.
6. Describe the process of how the artist uses the Sampler. What is their source material? What does the artist do to change the Sample, on a technical level?
7. Apply your chosen sentence/thesis from Miller's to the artist's work. How is this artist creating a new experience using the Sampler?
8. What new experiences are yet to come with the Sampler?
Paul D. Miller is both a creator who executes under the name DJ Spooky and a media theorist who publishes widely on Sound Art. His essay, Sonic Sculptures, was published at the dawn of social media and meme culture. Miller likens the DJ to a visual artist who makes "dematerialized sculpture," inducing the concept of the Objet Sonore. The DJ's role is also to research rhythm science.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Music Apprehension: Mozart versus Wagner. Visual & Performing Arts.Description: The Magic Flute is a composure by Mozart that includes singing and dialogue, thus a singspiel in German. Mozart's Magic Flute Papageno-Papagena duet and Wagner's Valkyrie Love scene duet reveal the theme of love and evil versus good....1 page/≈275 words | MLA | Visual & Performing Arts | Essay |
- Early Medieval Response Paper. Visual & Performing Arts EssayDescription: The Lindisfarne Gospels is an insular script that offers many Celtic-style decorative elements of the gospels of Mathew, Mark, Luke and John and was created in 7th and 8th century CE....2 pages/≈550 words | MLA | Visual & Performing Arts | Essay |
- Analysis of Unknown Soldier and East of War. Visual & Performing Arts.Description: In the two documentaries under study, Unknown Soldier and East of War, the themes of guilt and responsibility as depicted are central to the goal the films seek to attain....8 pages/≈2200 words | MLA | Visual & Performing Arts | Essay |