Environmental Conflict Social Sciences Essay Paper (Essay Sample)
8/10 sources plssource..
City and State
The modern world is characterized by technological innovation, increased production, and profit-seeking behavior. With every new generation comes the feeling that the world is getting even worse. Crucial to the modern debate is the issue of environmental degradation and how it is getting worse every year. Countries worldwide are putting in place efforts to ensure that they conserve the environment. Yet, such efforts are not well-received because of the high costs involved in practicing environmental-friendly activities. The result is a conflict between environmentalists and profit-seeking individuals. This paper explains why environmental factors are a cause of conflict in the modern world and how environmental action can be used as a source of peace.
Contemporary literature suggests that conflict arises when stakeholders have incompatible interests or irreconcilable differences (Väyrynen, 2018, p. 4). Unlike disagreement, conflict arises when one party wants to benefit at the expense of another party. Examples of conflicts include beating, threats, skirmishes, insurgency, and intrastate and interstate wars. Competition for finite environmental resources triggers conflicts.
The are several types of conflicts resulting from environmental factors. The prevailing environmental conflict is about noxious pollutants and air quality (Maser and Pollio, 2011, p. 38) This is the main type of environmental conflict worldwide. It relates to social justice issues and the right to live in a clean and healthy environment. An essential theme that emerges from this type of conflict is environmental racism and how it can be linked to poverty and vulnerability. Most conflicts relate to legal disputes and demonstrations where environmental activists and residents mobilize individuals to demand their rights (Maser and Pollio, 2011, p. 67). These activities, especially demonstrations, lead to violent conflicts between the public and local authorities. The conflicts resulting from air quality issues also tend to attract extensive media attention.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Women rights Essays
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Racism Within Contemporary SocietyDescription: Racism is a terminology embedded in the day-to-day conversations of every individual in the world. The etymology of the word racism can be traced back to the early 20th century, in the 1902 Oxford English Dictionary describing the U.S. policy about Native Americans (Howard, 2016)....9 pages/≈2475 words | Harvard | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Using the case of South Korea and China, demonstrate how both the state and the market play . . .Description: The state and market play a critical role in influencing the development and growth trajectory of any nation. The contemporary environment is globalized and interconnected, marked by increased mobility of labour and economic resources worldwide....8 pages/≈2200 words | Harvard | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Social Capital 3 Social Sciences Essay Research PaperDescription: The first slide on social capital states elaborates on the dependence of the economy on social capital. However, it does not elaborate on how each of the parameters identified directly applies social capital. This could be changed and linked to the second slide, determining the state and political systems...1 page/≈275 words | Harvard | Social Sciences | Essay |