Brief Answer Paper: Strategic Human Resource Management (Essay Sample)
Strategic Human Resource Management Assignment
Having considered your performance with the Poster Presentation, we would like to give further guidance as to how to tackle this assignment. The task is given below.
Using the findings of your formative group work, please produce a report considering the following areas:
- Using a variety of academic sources critically analyse the environments in which High-tech Co is currently operating taking into consideration their future expansion.
- Using appropriate concepts and models of Strategic Human Resource Management suggest policies and procedures that the CEO should adopt in order to become an employer of choice and to attract and retain talented employees. You should consider how they can develop the organisation to attain a workable management structure with an appropriate rewards strategy to attract high calibre candidates. Consideration should be given to the existing employees’ functions and how these can be incorporated into the business without causing conflict
- Make recommendations as to how the development of the business and HRM strategic plans can increase the performance of the organisation with particular reference to establishing new approaches or methods of managing the human resources of High Tech Co whilst remaining competitive in their market place. You should also identify any limitations for the company seeking to expand in such a way including cultural differences along with different working practices and employment legislation between countries
What is required of you is to demonstrate that you have an excellent understanding and knowledge of the SHRM literature and can effectively select useful frameworks /models and concepts to help the CEO make a sense of what she need to do in terms of strategic management of people to drive performance.
The assessment should be in report format
Introduction (500 words)
(1)Introduce the case study in few words and (2) identify the key strategic issues faced by the company (3) outline the plan that you need to follow in the development (this should be a summary of the task’s questions)
Development (4,000 words)
(1) Using a variety of academic sources critically analyse the environments in which High-tech Co is currently operating taking into consideration their future expansion.
Here you need to be clear about environments- it includes both (external and internal).
- What models/frameworks you think are important to do such analysis?
- How would you apply them?
- How would you critique these models/ concepts/ frameworks? Do research to find out who are the critics of the models.
- What are the implications of your analyses?( these will constitute later your recommendations)
Tips: Avoid using long listed bullet points when using PESTEL or SWOT. Focus on keys points that have importance to the case study and draw out implications.
Why don’t you use Porter’s five forces to analyse the industry structure and derive the attractiveness of the market and how High Tech Co could organise it business strategy and align it to the SHRM.
Ensure you use literature to define concepts such as: culture, structure, strategy, strategic HRM.
2-Using appropriate concepts and models of Strategic Human Resource Management suggest policies and procedures that the CEO should adopt in order to become an employer of choice and to attract and retain talented employees. You should consider how they can develop the organisation to attain a workable management structure with an appropriate rewards strategy to attract high calibre candidates. Consideration should be given to the existing employees’ functions and how these can be incorporated into the business without causing conflict
Be careful in this second question there is a lot in there; and you need to break this in chunks:
- The first phrase sets out a goal of becoming ‘an employer of choice’. Use literature to explain what this mean. And understand that this is about Strategic Resourcing of people. Key words: policies and Procedures
Here again don’t forget to use models/frameworks and concepts. Follow the four questions about how to apply models as outlined above
- The second phrase sets to test you in terms of organisational structure literature and how structure may drive performance. How might you reward the high performers (Reward strategy literature is the focus here).
You must use literature, references to support any claim you make.
- The last phrase is concerned with the literature on Employee Relations literature. Again ensure you use models /frameworks to explicitly demonstrate what needs to be put in place to achieve smooth change. Change management literature could be used to support this argument.
3-Make recommendations as to how the development of the business and HRM strategic plans can increase the performance of the organisation with particular reference to establishing new approaches or methods of managing the human resources of High Tech Co whilst remaining competitive in their market place. You should also identify any limitations for the company seeking to expand in such a way including cultural differences along with different working practices and employment legislation between countries
You must be careful not to include new ideas here. Your recommendations should be linked to the implications you draw out of your analysis.
- The first phrase set to challenge you to demonstrate that your analyses above to make sense in linking the Business and HRM strategy plans. This is a detailed ‘how to’ approach.
- The next phrase is about the limitations. Again yes because you have use the literature on employee relations and change management above, you are now in the right place to outline the limitations.
Conclusion (500 words)
Here you need to deduce from everything else you say above what position you want the CEO to follow with sound logical approach.
Do not introduce new ideas here. Make sure that your conclusion grabs the attention of the CEO.
References, you must use references that are credible, reliable, and from academic sources (e.g. published academic textbooks, articles from academic peer-reviewed journals)
Make sure that all cited references are listed in the references list in appropriate and standardised formats.
High Tech Company is a UK based multinational situated in York, and dealing with the production of high tech equipments. The company has a long time vision of expanding into South East Asia where it seeks to plans a subsidiary in China. The company’s board requires a succession plan that will assist the company’s CEO and the Human Resource manager in implementing a successful plan in the region. This report is a succession plan developed to offer strategic human resource information in the technical requirements of setting up the company in China. In this report, the roles and responsibilities of the Human resource manager such as employee management, talent development and recruitment of workers is in detail. The company shall face several external and internal environmental forces that shall affect its operation. The case study uses Porter’s five forces to evaluate the market place and the competition the company shall face. The report uses Handy’s topology to describe the management culture that the business can use. The report gives suggestion of the management of the subsidiary in relation to the parent company as ethnocentric, polycentric or geocentric. According to Ghoshal & Bartlett (1990), geocentric approach is the best method of choosing the management of the subsidiary. The company shall require defining itself as the employer of choice through creating good reward package, developing talents, having good ethical policy, company branding and creating good working conditions for all workers.
Establishment of a subsidiary for a multinational is a difficult and challenging process due to the many legal, environmental, political and economical factors that come to play. Operating in a foreign market offers newer challenge that does not exist in the local market. This is due to new laws, complex market structure, different operating costs and cultures that may affect the company’s operations in several ways. Multinationals also carry a global outlook and the other country may perceive it in a new dimension as compared to the local firms. These and other challenges contribute to the establishment of a subsidiary of High Tech, a UK based company in South East Asia.
High Tech Company is a multinational organization in the high-tech market and is located in York in the United Kingdom. The firm’s main activities include importing, exporting, and manufacturing for communication, laser equipment, optical apparatus and related parts and machinery. The corporation is undergoing rapid expansion in South East Asia, which needs the creation of a Strategic Human Resource Management. The company faces several challenges in implementing its vision of creating the subsidiary in South East Asia. There is need for a clear definition of the role the Human Resource manager shall play in the new country. These shall include management of workers, planning recruitment processes, developing talent, motivating workers, and assigning duties to workers according to their potentials to increase productivity. Being a different country, it is clear the company needs to understand the challenges that the hr shall face in managing foreign workers.
Additionally, the company requires identifying and understanding the organizational environments that shall affect its operations. These are internal and external environments. The internal environments include culture, technology, employee management, and financial issues. The external environments include legal policies, political, economic, and environmental policies. The company shall also face competition from its rivals and threat from suppliers and buyers. The company seeks to become and employer of choice but lacks strategy of attracting, developing and m...
- Sainsbury in IndiaDescription: Undergraduate level Essay: Sainsbury in India...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | Harvard | Business & Marketing | Essay |
- Pepsico Inc. Internationalization Writing Assignment PaperDescription: This report considers various aspects such as political, economic, social and technological factors in the markets that PepsiCo can successfully enter in some of the potential markets...24 pages/≈6600 words | 60 Sources | Harvard | Business & Marketing | Essay |
- Role of Inventory Management and Forecasting in Matching Supply and DemandDescription: Why do you think inventory management and forecasting play a vital role in matching supply and demand? ...7 pages/≈1925 words | 10 Sources | Harvard | Business & Marketing | Essay |