Critical Thinking: Social Work and the Affordable Care Act (Essay Sample)
The current policy Is ACA (Affordable Care Act) what does or proposes to do to address the identified social problem (health care for the elderly and poor). (ex: create programs, provide funding, establish standards, etc.) research is highly recommended.
1) Identify one professional social work Ethical Principle that best reflects how professional social work believes the social problem should be addressed:
- Go to the NASW Code of Ethics web page https://www.socialworkers.org/pubs/code/code.asp
- Cite verbatim (use exact wording) one Ethical Principle you believe most relevant to the social problem (there are six – choose one).
- i. Ex: The NASW Ethical Principle of _______ is most relevant to the social problem of_____ because....
- Describe how this Ethical Principle tells us how the social problem should be addressed:
- i. Ex: This Ethical Principle suggests that the problem of _______ should be addressed by….
2) Describe how the identified NASW ethical principle fits or does not fit with what the current policy does (i.e., is the policy consistent or not with the NASW Principle? Why/why not)
- i. Ex: As the policy establishes/proposes to/provides, this is consistent with this ethical principle because (tell me why).
- ii. Ex: As the policy establishes/proposes to/provides, this is inconsistent with this ethical principle because (tell me why).
3) Identify one indirect stakeholder group (i.e., NOT the population directly impacted by the problem) that has something to gain or lose through policies in your social problem area. (i.e., interest groups, advocates, lobbyists, or organizations that influence policy in this area).
- Identify the name of the stakeholder group (be specific).
- i. Ex: Don’t just say “taxpayers”
- Describe how the stakeholder group influences policy in this area.
- i. Ex: What do the stakeholders do (provide funding, mobilize public support, etc.) that is influential?
SOCIAL WORK AND THE AFFORDABLE CARE ACT
Social Work and the Affordable Care Act
Q1. Identify one professional social work Ethical Principle that best reflects how professional social work should address the social problem.
The Affordable Care Act will insure more than 30 million Americans in its plan (Andrews, Darnell, McBride, & Gehlert, 2013). However, it will not cover everybody. The National Association of Social Workersâ€™ principle of Social Justice is more relevant to the social problem of lack of medical cover for 29 million Americans, who will not get an ACA cover. This is because of inability to pay, residential status, state choices, or unwillingness to participate in the system. This is because social workers pursue change for the vulnerable and oppressed members of the public (NASW).
This ethical principle shall address this problem of lack of medical service by engaging the group to promote wellness among them through research, promotion of needed knowledge and participation in important decision-making (Andrews et al. 2013). The social workers shall ensure that the government does not leave any person unlawfully out of the program, by championing for the right of these people.
Q2. Describe how the identified NASW ethical principle fits or does not fit with what the current policy does.
- INSW 200 Assignment: Discussion Board Question (Week 3)Description: Please explain the benefit of having an ICFS agency for Indigenous people and describe what can be done to lower the rates of Indigenous children in care. ...1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- The Integration Of Special Needs Individuals In The SocietyDescription: The subject of integrating children with disability into regular classrooms has been the epicenter of debate among scholars and practitioners in the special education industry...12 pages/≈3300 words | 6 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Analysis of Las Vegas through the movie: The CorporationDescription: Undergraduate English Essay: Analysis of Las Vegas through the movie: The Corporation...3 pages/≈825 words | 4 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |