Impact of Environment on Character and Behavior. Social Sciences Essay (Essay Sample)
A total of five paragraphs are written and then the first paragraph is an introduction and then the thesis of each body segment is separately explained, and the following three paragraphs respectively explain thesis of each segment. The quote of each section of the main body cannot be used more than two, and the last paragraph is the conclusion.
Basic Composition – Fall 2019
Assignment #3: Mind Over Matter
Alain de Botton, “On Habit”
Jeanette Winterson, “The World and Other Places”
Like Alain de Botton and Xavier de Maistre in “On Habit,” the pilot in Jeanette Winterson’s “The World and Other Places” pays a lot of attention to, and is deeply affected by aspects of his environment. Work with de Botton and Winterson to form your position on the following question: how and to what extent do the circumstances, conditions, or objects by which one is surrounded, affect human behavior and character?
Here are some questions you might consider to help you get started or to help focus your ideas:
- Is it possible that such a view of the world could be positive, or is it only ever a negative way, as de Botton sees it?
- Can changing your physical environment cause changes in your behavior?
- Can you change your behavior without changing your physical environment, or is it often too difficult to do so?
- What can be gained from a change in perspective?
Weigh and evaluate which points seem to be the most convincing to you, and explain in your paper. Use specific quotes, examples and details from the text in developing your response.
Rough Draft due Thursday, November 14, 2019. At least 4 full pages (the draft ends on page 5). Be sure to bring in copies for peer review and discussion.
Final Draft due Thursday, November 21, 2019. At least 5 full pages (the paper must end on page 6). All final and rough drafts of essays must be typed using the Times New Roman 12-point font, and double-spaced with one-inch margins. Please give your essay an original title. Put your name, assignment number, “rough” or “final” draft, and the date in the upper left hand corner.
Impact of Environment on Character and Behavior
Human behavior is a complex phenomenon affected by a range different variables with the most important being the physical environment. In this case, the environment of a human being involves objects, people, concepts and circumstances that they familiarizes with. The pilot in Jeannette Winterson’s “The world and other places” is very sensitive to unfamiliar places and reacts differently to each aspect of his environment. Similarly, the character from Alain de Botton’s book “On Habit” also appears very sentimental about his environment and every aspect that he interacts with. This essay will draw analysis on the impact of a person’s surrounding to his behavior and form a personal position on the environmental impacts on human behavior.
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to scientific essays:
- Annotated Bibliography: Panda. Biological & Biomedical SciencesDescription: Sheng, Guilian, et al. "Paleogenome Reveals Genetic Contribution of Extinct Giant Panda to Extant Populations." Current Biology (2019). Sheng, Basler, and Paijmans offer insights about the first nuclear paleogenome of the giant panda....2 pages/≈550 words | MLA | Biological & Biomedical Sciences | Other (Not Listed) |
- Social Science Assignment. Topic: Green Technology. Essay Description: Thesis: Green technology fosters sustainable environmental conservation, economic growth and development, and promotes human health now and in the future (T)....2 pages/≈550 words | MLA | Life Sciences | Essay |
- Journal Entry. Cultural Affiliations. Social Sciences EssayDescription: Cultural affiliations are not something that started yesterday. Indeed, traditionally, different groups of people related to others based on their culture type. For example, in East Africa, there existed two primary types of Nilotic speakers who were subdivided into various other small communities...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Life Sciences | Essay |