7 pages/≈1925 words
Cross-Cultural Human Development (Essay Sample)
Required book: Lives Across Cultures: Cross Cultural Human Development, 5th edition; Harry W Gardiner & Corinne Kosmitzki Briefly summarize your reflections on the life experiences described in the text. What developmental themes emerge in these stories and how are these themes resolved within the individual and collective life experience? How do these contextual variables help shape vulnerability and resiliency within the individual and the cultural system? source..
Cross-Cultural Human Development
Cross – Cultural Human Development
Gardiner and Kosmitzki define culture as a combination of learned as well as shared beliefs, values, behaviors and attitudes of particular people which are passed on from generation to generation (2011). People always encounter various cultures in the course of their lives in different ways. These encounters may occur as a result from travelling, migrating, and reading or even through the media such as television. Cultural influences and interaction is also common through social networking sites for instance Facebook and YouTube. Therefore, cross-cultural human development comprises the psychological, physical as well as social behaviors experienced by people through the course of their lives as they grow up in different cultural contexts. It encompasses the cultural similarities and differences experienced by individuals in the processes of growth and development as well as their outcomes expressed through behavior in people or communities (Gardiner & Kosmitzki, 2011). This paper discuses the subject of cross-cultural human development as documented in the book “Lives across cultures: Cross-cultural human development” by Harry Gardiner and Corrine Kosmitzki.
Briefly summarize your reflections on the life experiences described in the text.
The diversity of life experiences in the various cultural settings described in the text clearly indicates the importance of understanding and respecting one another’s cultures. Gardiner, who is one of the authors, is personally undergoing cross-cultural experiences in his life. Gardiner states that he is married to an Asian woman from Thailand with whom they have four children. Raising a cross-cultural and bilingual family has enabled Gardiner to experience first hand the issue of cross-cultural human development (Gardiner & Kosmitzki, 2011). Gardiner asserts that he and hi...
Get the Whole Paper!
Not exactly what you need?
Do you need a custom essay? Order right now:
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Song analysis Essays
- Animal cruelty Essays
- Kill a mockingbird Essays
- Homeless Essays
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Special InterestDescription: Undergraduate writing level 7 pages Social Sciences Format Style English (U.S.) Essay. Special Interest...7 pages/≈1925 words | 7 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Local and Community Responses to Conflict 2Description: Social Sciences Essay: Local and Community Responses to Conflict 2...2 pages/≈550 words | 1 Source | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Psychological Impact of Conflict (Bullying)Description: Social Sciences Essay: Psychological Impact of Conflict (Bullying)...2 pages/≈550 words | 2 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |