Community Observation: Battered Women’s Shelter (Essay Sample)
Students will take an active part in a community outreach activity of their choosing; this will enable students to connect with the needs of the community (e.g., working at a homeless or battered-women’s shelter, a Christian youth camp, a local recreation center, volunteer tutoring at a public school, etc.). Students should contact their instructor if they are unsure if an outreach activity qualifies for this assignment. This activity can be purely voluntary, or it can be an activity related directly to students’ employment. Typically, the observation will last between 2–4 hours. However, the observation may take longer, and enough observation must be done in order to complete all aspects of this assignment.
Upon completion of the observation, students will write a 3-page paper explaining the experience and its sociological significance from the Christian worldview. Using the information about sociology gained from the course and the textbook (outside scholarly sources are also allowed), students will answer the following 4 questions in detail (Note: these questions must be the subheadings when writing the paper):
1. What was observed during the experience?
2. How did the experience affect you?
3. What are the needs of the population that you interacted with for this assignment?
4. How can you help make a difference with this group?
The finished project must include 3 full pages of content as well as a cover page in current APA format. The paper must be written in first person.
Students should refer to the grading rubric for specific grading criteria. This assignment will be submitted through SafeAssign in order to check for plagiarism and the validity of work. A word count should be provided by the students on the last page of this assignment.
Community Observation: Battered women’s shelter
[First Name, Last Name]
Community Observation: Battered women’s shelter
A Christian worldview is critical for the Christ-follower since it deals with the approaches we have towards the world. Several Christians are startled by the beliefs and practices that are portrayed by secularism on specific issues and topics. For us to focus in a meaningful way to the world around us, we need to understand the world’s view. The worldview concept describes how all theoretical systems are rooted in culture. This is displayed in how one views life and the world.
Battered women make up a small percentage of every country’s population. These are women whose psychological atmospheres involve abuse, habitually from an intimate partner. They are usually the minority, inexperienced, jobless women with disregard to age, race, education levels. I took an active part in the Battered women’s shelter community outreach activity to connect to the needs of the community. Therefore, in this paper, I detail my observations, the effects the experiment had on me, a discussion of the population needs, and the initiatives I can take to make a difference for this group.
Notable signs of abuse were observable for this group. Significant ones included bruises around their eyes, healing marks on their necks, broken wrists from a few women, and fading scars on different parts of their bodies. Some of them experienced flashes of anxiety and panic attacks, which made it challenging to hold conversations. Gladys (not the real name), a thirty-seven-year-old from the shelter narrated about her abusive relationship. She explained that the nature of the abuse she experienced extended beyond acts of physical violence because it also included controlling behaviors and emotional abuse. It took a while for her to decide to exit her twelve years of marriage with two children. The primary reasons for not leaving her violent partner were lack of an alternative financial means of supporting herself and her children and fear of losing custody of her children.
The battered women’s shelter is a large facility that accommodates approximately five hundred women.
- Critical Response Writing Assignment: Working at McDonaldsDescription: This will function as the thesis statement of your summary, so this first sentence will need to convey the main point(s) of the article to give your reader...1 page/≈550 words | 1 Source | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Liberal Arts, Diversity and Cul Research AssignmentDescription: You have also wrestled with complex ethical dilemmas, as well as issues and concerns around diversity and communication....4 pages/≈1100 words | 4 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Religious Terrorists as FundamentalistsDescription: In a sense, fundamentalism is the political misuse of religion, and there is no doubt that most extremists from India, Pakistan, Afghanistan and other parts of the world are fundamentalists....2 pages/≈550 words | 2 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |