3 pages/≈825 words
Bertrand Russell's "Appearance and Reality" and D.Z Philips"What Can I Know" (Essay Sample)
Question #1 write at least one paragraph What evidence does Russell use to argue that our senses cannot give us knowledge of the table. Question #2 write at least one paragraph What does Russell mean by "appearance"? Question #3 Write at least one paragraph Why does Philips think that the idea of a "sense-datum" is a confused one? Question #4 write at least two paragraphs Discuss Russel's argument that our knowledge of the real table is questionable if we begin with our sense-experience of it. Then, compare why Philips thinks that Russell is wrong to question this knowledge. source..
BERTRAND RUSSELL'S "APPEARANCE AND REALITY" AND D.Z PHILIPS"WHAT CAN I KNOW" Name Institution Affiliation Course Date of Submission Bertrand Russell's "Appearance and Reality" and D.Z Philips"What Can I Know" Question one The following evidence by Russell actually argues that our senses cannot give us knowledge of the table.Bertrand Russell writes in the book problems of philosophy that our perceptions will always give us the image that is not exact reality of the object we are looking at. He argues that the human perception will always change depending on several factors. In his argument about the knowledge of the table, Russell says that the perception of the table changes from one observer to next observer and the reality constantly eludes all of the observers. This may depend on the position of the observer in which case one observer standing directly to the table may see a rectangle top while another observer standing at an angle to the table may see a parallelogram or another different shape. Likewise he continues to argue that another reason why our senses can give us the knowledge of the table is because it can be influenced by exterior factors. To this conclusion he uses an instance of three individuals who are at three different states: one is drunk, another is actually sick, and the last otherone is color blind. According to him the drunkenviewer will actually see a table that is obviously...
Get the Whole Paper!
Not exactly what you need?
Do you need a custom essay? Order right now:
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Cell phone Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to drunk driving:
- Summary of motel life (chapter1-3)Description: Essay: Summary of motel life (chapter1-3)...1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- What do you expect will be the character of the 21st century? War-prone.Description: Undergraduate writing level 2 pages History Format Style English (U.S.) Term Paper. What do you expect will be the character of the 21st century? War-prone....2 pages/≈550 words | 2 Sources | Chicago | History | Term Paper |
- L.A. Metro Transit SystemDescription: Essay: L.A. Metro Transit System...2 pages/≈550 words | 1 Source | MLA | Literature & Language | Other (Not Listed) |