Psychological disturbances across Cultures. Psychology Essay (Essay Sample)
Sources to be used
1)Ormel, J., von Korff, M., Üstün B., Pini, S., Korten, A., & Oldehinkel, T. (1994). Common mental disorders and disability across cultures. Results from the WHO collaborative study on psychological problems in general health care. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), 272(22), 1174-1178.
2)Simon, G. E., Goldberg, D. P., von Korkk, M., & Üstün B. (2002). Understanding cross-national differences in depression prevalence. Psychological Medicine, 32(4), 585-594.
3)Versola-Russo, J. (2006). Cultural and demographic factors of schizophrenia. International Journal of Psychosocial Rehabilitation, 10(2), 89-103.
4)Weissman, M. M., Bland, R. C., Canino, G. J., Faravelli, C., Greenwald, S., Hwo, H. G., ... Yeh, E. K. (1996). Cross-national epidemiology of major depression and bipolar disorder. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), 276(4), 293-299.
Psychological disturbances across Cultures
Weiten and McCann (2013) claim that schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression are the three serious psychological disturbances that are identifiable in all cultures. What does research say about their prevalence across cultures?
There is a common molecular mechanism and genetic basis for schizophrenia and bipolar disorder as there is a genetic variant associated with multiple psychiatric diseases. Across the diverse cultures, the psychiatric conditions and psychological disturbances affect the same brain regions and this increases the risk of psychological disturbances. The prevalence of common mental disorders (CMDs) like bipolar disorder, and depression and other psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia. The burden of CMDs is associated with social disability, ill-health, higher health service costs and use, which poses significant health problems (Ormel et al., 1994). Schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, and depression are identifiable in all cultures, and differences are research prevalence across cultures, partly depends on presentation and culture.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
- Ethnography Essays
- Dance Essays
- Depression Essays
- Conflict Essays
- Scientific Essays
- Human rights Essays
- Career Essays
- A rose for emily Essays
- Personal experiences Essays
- Things fall apart Essays
- Abraham lincoln Essays
- Heart of darkness Essays
- Suicide Essays
- Fast food Essays
- Short story Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to culture essays:
- Organizational culture. Accounting, Finance, SPSS EssayDescription: Organizational culture comprises the assumptions and values that are shared by people in an organization. The corporate culture defines what is important and what is not important within the organization....1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | MLA | Accounting, Finance, SPSS | Essay |
- Global History, Culture and Ideology. History EssayDescription: Gender inequality remains top of the most sensitive matters that most of the countries around the world are grappling with (Colleen). Women have for the longest time been relegated to house chores (Verniers, and Vala)....2 pages/≈550 words | 30 Sources | MLA | History | Essay |
- Comparison between Chinese cultural and black people's cultureDescription: Cultures tend to differ widely in different parts of the world, but studies have shown that globalization has played a significant role in promoting intercultural relations. ...7 pages/≈1925 words | 6 Sources | APA | Psychology | Research Paper |