Movie - Character Analysis Paper Psychology Essay Paper (Essay Sample)
THE MOVIE I CHOOSE IS THE BLACK SWAN BUT IF THERE IS ANOTHER MOVIE THATS EASIER FOR YOU THAT WORKS TOO.
Now that you have completed more than half of your abnormal psychology course, this week will observe a character in one movie which employs abnormal psychology as a theme for that character. The release date of the movie is not relevant, so you can choose from older ones if so desired. Because we are in chapter 9, you may want to focus your paper on gender and sexual issues in your reported film. As an example, in the film 28 Days, Gwen, the protagonist, gets involved with a sexually addicted baseball player. You could talk about her reasoning as well as address some of his issues.
A few examples of movies that work well for this assignment include: 28 Days, Girl Interrupted, Requiem for a Dream, Momento, Black Swan, Silver Linings Playbook, A Beautiful Mind
1. Select and analyze one character in the movie who exhibits a DSM -5 disorder. This individual will usually be the protagonist or the primary antagonist. Sometimes it is a supporting character such as the trickster, but you may not get enough information to write a paper from one fo these types of characters.
a. Using the DSM 5 criteria, show how the character via the scenes in the movie meets the diagnosis.
b.This area should be detailed. Discuss how the abnormal behavior is influenced as presented in the movie by biological factors (brain processes), psychological factors (emotional turmoil), and by social factors (inadequate relationships).
2. Write a report that includes a paragraph or two about the major plot.
a. Focus the majority of the paper on the character.
b. Describe how the abnormal thoughts, ideations, and behavior play into the plot.
c. Suggested treatment(s)
3. Report must have APA style reference format.
a. The paper needs to include at least 3 references including the movie.
b.. Wikipedia and the dictionary do not count as references.
c. Use your textbook as one of the references.
a. You do not need an abstract.
b. The body of the paper should be at least 2 pages but probably more.
4. The paper will be worth up to 20 points.
5. Submit your paper through Canvas
a. This paper will be checked for plagiarism.
b. Do not copy or use other people’s ideas or work on the character analysis.
Movie - Character Analysis Paper- The Black Swan
Name Course Instructor Date
Nina Sayer, a ballet dancer, and protagonist in Tchaikovsky's The Black Swan, suffers from various psychological disorders such as psychosis anxiety disorder and obsessive-compulsive behaviors. The perfectionist ballet dancer is under immense pressure to succeed and gradually she becomes psychotic and violent (Aronofskyet al., 2010). Psychosis is a mental state characterized by an alteration in the perception of reality (Boyda et al., 2018). Nina has psychosis and DSM V diagnostic criteria on psychosis include delusions, hallucinations, abnormal psychomotor behavior, disorganized speech, and negative symptoms.
The protagonist exhibits disorganized thinking, which reflects brain processes that explain psychosis as Nina believes that Nina wants to her harm and she believes she is in a relationship with her. Nina’s mental health status deteriorates to the extent that she fails to distinguish reality from her imagination to the extent of believing that other people are plotting against her. Nina also has visual hallucinations when she takes the drug ecstasy and believes that she spouts wings when she scratches her back over time.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Ethics Essays
- Globalization Essays
- Kite runner Essays
- Drugs Essays
- Artificial intelligence Essays
- George washington Essays
- The crucible Essays
- Body image Essays
- Terrorism Essays
- Autism Essays
- Edgar allan poe Essays
- Mahatma gandhi Essays
- Progressive era Essays
- Overpopulation Essays
- Professionalism Essays
- Hurricane katrina Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to movie essays:
- My Thoughts Literature & Language Movie Review PaperDescription: Fidel Castro was a Cuban revolutionary leader who managed to rule his country for more than 47 years. From the documentary, we can see that Fidel was a committed and strong-willed individual. He wielded power like a tyrant and controlled all the aspects of the Cuban economy...1 page/≈275 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Movie Review |
- Paris is burning Visual & Performing Arts Movie ReviewDescription: The 1990 documentary Paris is Burning covers Latino gay, transgender, and African American life in New York, as seen in the 1980s. The documentary basically contains loads of ballroom activities, as witnessed among the aforementioned groups. Drag queens and ballroom...1 page/≈275 words | Other | Visual & Performing Arts | Movie Review |
- Week 6 assignment Communications & Media Movie ReviewDescription: The thematic relationship between films and society is perhaps one of the most exciting topics to study. By looking at how a film was produced in terms of its plot and cinematic techniques, a viewer could think about the very societal backdrop against which the film was made. In this article,...2 pages/≈550 words | MLA | Communications & Media | Movie Review |