Cybercrime Legislation And The Piece Of Legislation (Essay Sample)
For this assignment, select a type of cybercrime (i.e., cyber-stalking, cyber-bullying, cyber-porn, sexting). Identify a piece of legislation related to that type of cybercrime that is more than 5 years old. Then identify a current piece of legislation related to that type of cybercrime.
Reference: Barkacs, L. L., & Barkacs, C. B. (2010). Do you think I'm sexty? Minors and sexting: Teenage fad or child pornography? Journal of Legal, Ethical and Regulatory Issues, 13(2), 23–31.
The Assignment (2–3 pages)
• Briefly describe the type of cybercrime you selected.
• Describe the piece of legislation you selected that is more than 5 years old.
• Describe the piece of legislation you selected that is current.
• Explain any significant differences between the two pieces of legislation.
• Explain how the evolution of the type of cybercrime you selected has influenced legislation.
Cyber stalking is the act of harassing, threatening and intimidating an individual or group of people using the internet (Pittaro, 2007). Cyber stalking is as a result of an individual having control issues that result in aggressive behaviours. According to Elder (2014), stalking can be inform of stranger, acquitance,date or spousal stalking. Stranger stalking happens when the victim has never interacted with the perpetratorin any way while acquitance , date and spousal stalking, happens when the victim has interacted with the perpetartor in one way or another. There are also a few cases of cyberstalking among family members.
One of the major federal laws that relates to cyber stalking is the Interstate Stalking and Prevention Act passed by congress in 1996 as part of Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) in the U.S. This law makes it a crime to travel across states with the intent of stalking a person either through the mail or any other computer enabled services, if this particular activity causes substantial fear of bodily harm or death to the individual or his/her immediate family members (United States Department of Justice, 2015).
In Connecticut, section 53a-182b provides that it is a crime (harassment in the first degree) when a person communicates threats to kill or physically injure another person by telephone, telegraph, mail or computer network with intent to harass, annoy or terrorise that person. Under this section, harassment is said to have been committed either at the place where the message disseminated from or where it was received(Working to Halt
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to bullying:
- What Is The Ethical Issue Discussed In Your Snapshot?Description: What is the ethical issue discussed in your snapshot? What is the author's primary stance on this issue? What morally relevant features and/or facts of the debated issue does the author primarily focus on?...3 pages/≈825 words | 4 Sources | MLA | Business & Marketing | Essay |
- ESL117A Writing Assignment: How To Reduce Cyber Bulling?Description: Cyber bullying is understood as any bullying that occurs over digital devices such as tablets, computers and mobile phones. It could take place via apps, text, short message service (SMS), or online in social media and forums. ...1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Refutative Speech: The Role Of Parents Against Bullying In The Modern AgeDescription: According to recent studies, about 77% of all students have experienced some kind of bullying more than once in their lives as students...1 page/≈550 words | No Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Speech Presentation |