Pretend that you are a leadership development coach. Action Learning (Essay Sample)
For this assignment, pretend that you are a leadership development coach assigned to help some organizations fix their action learning programs. For each of the scenarios below, explain what you think went wrong and how it could be fixed based on what you have learned about action learning in the background readings. For each of the three scenarios, explain your diagnosis and use at least one citation from the required readings to support your diagnosis. Your paper should be two to three pages in length:
1. A group of 20 from different departments from within an organization is put together to form an action learning set. At their meetings, every person is allowed to present and receive feedback from other set members and their coach. At first they are allowed to present and receive feedback for a half hour each but group members become exhausted from 10 hour meetings. Then this time is cut to 5 minutes per person but group members feel they are unable to learn or get adequate feedback from their coach and other group members in this amount of time.
2. A CEO picks an important problem for an action learning group consisting of five senior managers. The group meets every month for a full day for nine months. After nine months, each group member feels that they have learned a lot from receiving feedback every month and has improved several areas of their leadership skills. The group presents to the CEO a detailed plan along with steps they have already taken to help solve the problem and the results they have seen. But the CEO is upset because they didn’t come up with the solution the wanted and orders the group out of his office.
3. A group of several managers is put together to form an action learning set. The group members are very motivated to start this program and excited about the possibilities for developing their skills. The facilitator for the action learning program is a top assistant to the CEO. During group meetings, team members are reluctant to discuss difficulties they are facing in their tasks. Whenever a team member gives a presentation, they tend to only discuss positive experiences and they never criticize the organization.
1 The group might have overreacted from the request made by the members, leading to the wrong decision. First, it's not realistic that the time changed from thirty minutes to five minutes. Although the individuals needed some relief to avoid the long meeting hours, the decision made in time reduction seems wrong. Second, knowing the main aim of the idea as learning and not possibly achieving any goal, the five minutes are not enough for this achievement. In this case, the group members are bound to lose interest in the plan, leading to failure and unachieved objectives. On the other, although the group should focus on the welfare of the organization while solving the given issue, their participation is essential, and their feelings and reactions should be a consideration before the implementation of any decision regarding the learning process.
- Discuss the importance of the balance of payments as an accounting measure.Description: Balance of payments is used to evaluate the flow of goods and services in a certain economy for a given period. Alternatively, it is used to indicate the flow of capital in and out of a country....1 page/≈275 words | APA | Management | Essay |
- What Economics is all About. Management Assignment.Description: Economics is one of the earliest disciplines in social science, which deals with the production, distribution, and consumption of goods and/or services....2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Management | Essay |
- Cloud Computing and service-oriented architecture (SOA)Description: Service-Oriented Architecture. Cloud computing refers to the use of web-based software to gain access to external business environments using virtual systems (Attaran, 2017)....1 page/≈275 words | APA | Management | Essay |