Uniform Crime Report For Chief Of Police (Essay Sample)
Your task is to write a report for the Chief of Police Rodney Hurt. He will use the report for his news conference in regard to the public’s concern for the increase in crime over the past five years. In the report, you will include the following:
1. A definition and description of the Uniform Crime Report.
2. A description of the data-gathering strategy for your report and a rationale for why you chose this technique.
3. A discussion of the crime trends comparing Happy Town, Frown Town, Smooth Town, and Cool Town over the past five years.
Your report should clearly describe all the details necessary for the Chief’s news conference. Your answers will be judged not only on the accuracy of the information you provide, but also on how thoroughly the information is covered, how effectively the report is organized, and how well your writing reflects the conventions of standard written English. While your personal values and experiences are important, please answer all the questions in this task solely on the basis of the information provided in the Document Library.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
● Be four pages typed, double-spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with oneinch margins on all sides. All the information you need is in the Document Library.
● Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, your name, professor’s name, coursesource..
Uniform Crime Report
The Uniform Crime Report, also written as UCR, compiles essential, official data on crimes in the United States. The report is published by FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) on an annual basis depending on the rate of crimes within the state. This report is actually a statistical effort of over 17,000 city, college, and university, state, tribal, federal and county law enforcement agencies sharing information about crimes and terrorist attacks brought to their notice. The Uniform Crime Report provides people with sufficient information regarding day-to-day crimes, their possible consequences, and how to take measures and ensure their protection. The Federal Bureau of Investigation does not collect the information itself; for this purpose, it has joined hands with different law enforcement agencies all over the United States, which compile reports and provide FBI with complete details (Dahl, 2017).
The Uniform Crime Report program was initiated in 1929, and soon became a good and reliable source of crime data collection for police officers, scholars, media, public, and policymakers (Sarver, 2014). There are four main parts of this report:
* Law Enforcement Officers Murdered and Assaulted Project
* Traditional Summary Reporting System
* Cargo Theft Reporting Project
* Hate Crime Statistics Project
Based on these four categories, FBI prepares a final report and publishes it on a yearly basis, allowing people to understand the severity of different crimes and ensuring their safety. Regardless of the fact that the Uniform Crime Report is published every year, law enforcement agencies keep collecting data on a monthly basis by comparing different cities, provinces, towns, and villages. The main data collection resources are police stations where crimes are reported, police officers or investigators who supervise different cases in their specific areas, and online journals as well as newspapers. From the different case studies, I got to know that there are multiple methodologies of collecting data for the Uniform Crime Report, but I chose the Reporting Procedure and Group Discussion methods (1969).
Reporting procedure is all about reporting crimes by law enforcement agencies or police officers who investigate the crime scenes, evaluate each and every evidence, submit multiple samples to the forensic laboratory, and interview the witnesses secretly. Once all these steps are completed, the information that is considered irrelevant or useless is eliminated from the totals. It's safe to say that this is one of the best methods to prepare a valid and reliable Uniform Crime Report. First of all, there is no room for errors or omissions since the investigation is carried out in different steps and the final report is prepared only when the representatives of law enforcement agencies cross-check everything. Secondly, the FBI itself evaluates and verifies everything before presenting the final
- Prospects For The Blockchain TechnologyDescription: The blockchain technology will foster trust in transactions and reduce the number of costs that are involved in the whole process of transactions....4 pages/≈1100 words | 6 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Textual Exploration: Drama In A Doll's HouseDescription: The essay seeks to examine prominent elements of fiction, drama techniques and layers of understanding used by the author in the play A Doll's House....3 pages/≈825 words | No Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Mini-Mock Paper Two: A Doll's HouseDescription: A Doll's House is considerably a play written by Henrik Ibsen in 1879 in a Norwegian setting. The play has prominently highlighted the role of women and men in different contexts....4 pages/≈1100 words | No Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |