Précis 9. Some social implications of modern technology. (Essay Sample)
For each précis you will be asked to summarize clearly and concisely, and in your own words (no quotations!), the assigned reading for that class period. The goal of the précis is to explain the reading so well that even a family member or friend could understand the gist without their having read the text themselves. The précis should be sure to include:
• Mention of the author and text summarized in the précis.
• An explicit statement of the main claim(s) made, along with an explanation of what each claim
means. If a claim involves technical or unclear terminology, the terms should be explained.
• A brief explanation as to why the author is bothering to make this claim or set of claims.
• If the aim of the author is to justify a claim, the argument(s) justifying the claim should be
• If the aim of the author is to explain a claim, that explanation should be summarized.
• The précis should conclude by raising either a question or potential criticism.
“Some social implications of modern technology” (1998), is an article by Herbert Marcuse, edited by Douglas Kellner and published in Technology, war, and fascism. In the paper, the authors claim modern technology has introduced a new form of rationality and standardized individuality (Marcuse & Kellner, 1998). Here, technology is defined as a social process, with humans as an integral part of technology (Marcuse & Kellner, 1998).
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Cell phone Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to technology:
- WORLD SIGNIFICANT PROBLEMS. Cybersecurity. Creative Writing Description: What do you consider to be the three most significant problems in the world right now? What do you expect to happen with regard to these problems? ...3 pages/≈825 words | APA | Creative Writing | Other (Not Listed) |
- (Article by Stanley H. Ambrose) Paleolithic technology and human evolution.Description: Paleolithic technology and human evolution. Around 3,000 years ago, something that was different from the previous trends took place, and it would result in ever-expanding outcomes. ...2 pages/≈550 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Combating Human Trafficking Through Facial Recognition Research PaperDescription: Trafficking in persons continues to be a growing global health issue. Often, people do not entirely understand the circumstances regarding why people become trafficking victims. Human trafficking is the exploitation of the vulnerability, which continues to thrive until organizations collaborate...9 pages/≈2475 words | APA | Law | Research Paper |