M5A1 Assignment: Comparing and Contrasting Poems of Controversy (Essay Sample)
Comparing and Contrasting Poems of Controversy
In this assignment you will begin by learning more about two poets and reviewing components of a
comparison and contrast essay. You will then have the opportunity to construct a comparison and
contrast essay on two selected poems.
Background Information on the poets you will be writing about:
•Listen to the talk: “The Danger of a single story” by Nigerian writer Chimamanda Adichie
•For some information on the two poets you will be writing about watch the following two video clips:
◦“A day with Wole Soyinka” https://www(dot)youtube(dot)com/watch?v=dprnVlsw9RE
◦“Sharon Olds Speaks at the 2008 Poets Forum”
Preparation for writing your essay:
•Read about Comparison and Contrast Essay at the Excelsior College OWL.
When you have completed all preparations for your essay, continue on to the following:
Read the poems “Telephone Conversation” by Wole Soyinka and “On the Subway” by Sharon Olds.
Write a 500 to 750 word essay comparing and contrasting the themes of these two poems. Remember
that you should use the close reading method of Module 5 or the explication method of this module to
gather evidence and quotes from the poems to support your thesis.
The poems Telephone Conversation by Wole Soyinka and On the Subway by Sharon Olds tackle the theme of racism and prejudice. In a telephone conversation, a black man identifies himself as an African while trying to rent an apartment and the conversation becomes awkward as both the landlady and caller are unsure how to deal with the issue. On the subway, focuses on a white lady’s thoughts while while facing black man, and she even assumes he may possibly mug her, but she also reflects on how blacks have been treated. The literal sense, diction, tone, and situations in Telephone Conversation and On the Subway highlight how racism and prejudice affects the ability of blacks and whites to engage in positive interactions....
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Same sex marriage Essays
- Animal right Essays
- Slavery Essays
- Teenage pregnancy Essays
- American dream Essays
- Immigration Essays
- Racism Essays
- Global warming Essays
- Religion Essays
- Gay marriage Essays
- Police brutality Essays
- Love Essays
- Animal testing Essays
- Obesity in america Essays
- World war 1 Essays
- Martin luther king Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to poems:
- An Analysis of Rumi's Book of Love: Poems of Love and EcstasyDescription: Diving Deep into the Intuitional Truth and Experiential Knowledge of Rumi's Mystical Poetry: An Analysis of Rumi's Book of Love: Poems of Love and Ecstasy...5 pages/≈1375 words | 6 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Assignment 2 Project Paper: Harlem Renaissance PoemsDescription: The Project Paper focuses on a suggested topic related to art, architecture, history, music, or literature. The project will reflect your views and interpretation of the topic. ...3 pages/≈825 words | 3 Sources | APA | History | Essay |
- Comparing and Contrasting Poems of ControversyDescription: The two poems are similar in that they show how the white characters quickly jump into conclusion in stereotyping and judging black people (Jones, 2011)....2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |