1 page/≈550 words
Literature & Language
What was the Role and History of Italy after World War Two and through the Cold War (Essay Sample)
Role and History of Italy after World War 2
Role and history of Italy after World War 2
In the early years of the 20th century, Italy made a mistake by allowing the rise of fascism and rallying behind Benito Mussolini. The tyrant concentrated power in his government and turned the country into his own personal dictatorship. All in all, after the axis power was defeated and Mussolini died after the Second World War, Italy had an opportunity to move forward in a different way.
After the war, the country’s history was in the hands of the Christian democratic system for about four decades. During this time, the Italian Communist Party played the role of the main opposition. This was to go on until the Tangentopoli scandal, the Soviet Union crisis and mission Mani pulite. According to Maier (2015), the three incidences helped form a major reformation within the Italian political system and electoral system that also included the closure of political parties.
Just after the war, the Italian society was mainly divided on the way forward. Some people thought that abolishing the monarchy and creating a republic was the way to go, while others wished to implement communism and socialism while nationalizing the northern industrial sectors. In June 1946, Italians voted in a referendum to do away with the monarchy. The royal family was chased away from Italy and banned from living anywhere within the borders of Italy (Maier, 2015).
A Constituent Assembly was elected in 1946; with its role being to draft the Italian constitution. This assembly drew up a constitution that created a bicameral parlia...
Get the Whole Paper!
Not exactly what you need?
Do you need a custom essay? Order right now:
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Imperialism Essays
- Childhood obesity Essays
- Nursing career Essays
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
- Ethnography Essays
- Dance Essays
- Depression Essays
- Conflict Essays
- Scientific Essays
- Human rights Essays
- Career Essays
- A rose for emily Essays
- Personal experiences Essays
- Things fall apart Essays
- Abraham lincoln Essays
- Heart of darkness Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to cold war:
- Racism in Contemporary America, From Reconstruction through the Dawn of the 21st CenturyDescription: This is arguably the most intense, most detailed and most informative piece of literature addressing the issue of racism in the United States...4 pages/≈1100 words | 5 Sources | MLA | History | Annotated Bibliography |
- Nuclear Weapons Taboos: India Puzzle, South Africa CaseDescription: First in anarchical system where there is no universal sovereign or worldwide government that can resolve disputes and enforce the law...4 pages/≈1100 words | 3 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- US-Soviet Relations: Mikhail Gorbachev's 1988 UN SpeechDescription: US-Soviet Relations: What did Gorbachev mean by "de-idealizing relations among states? What implications did this have for superpower relations?...1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |