2 pages/≈550 words
Literature & Language
Irony the Gift of the Magi Research Assignment (Essay Sample)
1.Must include at least 3 quotes from the play to highlight your point
2. Minimum 5 paragraphs,maximum 7 paragraphs
3. please use simple vocabulary. because this is a high school grade 9 essay. 80% of the total score is fine.
Irony the Gift of the Magi
The story “The Gift of the Magi” as written by O. Henry presents various forms of irony. The irony in a story is a case when a situation or incident turns out contrary to expectations. O. Henry applies irony in the story to add humor into the writing, put emphasis on the moral of the story and also to make the reader or audience think about the underlying meaning of various sayings in the story. In the story by O. Henry, various forms of irony have been used. Examples include verbal irony, dramatic irony, situational irony, the irony of foolishness, and the Magi’s Gift. This essay will discuss each of the ironies as illustrated in the story.
Verbal irony can be defined as a situation when a character talks some words which are in contrast with their literal meaning or rather says something that is different from a certain situation. In the story “The Gift of the Magi”, the writer applies this type of irony by revealing that Dillingham Youngs had $1.87 only for the gifts. The writer states that “There was clearly nothing to do but flop down on the shabby little couch and howl. So Della did it. Which is predominating.” This is ironical in a way that Della feels sorry for her situation and financial challenges although does not have enough finances to acquire a gift. However, it is ironical since the situation is not tragic. Della goes to the point of selling her hair to buy a present for Jim. The author sarcastically describes this incident by saying the act of charitable love has its consequences that are not easy to overcome...
Get the Whole Paper!
Not exactly what you need?
Do you need a custom essay? Order right now:
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to the story of an hour:
- Academy Award Winning Film Version Of West Side StoryDescription: You will then write your observations of the film. There is no right or wrong. There is simply well-considered opinion and reaction to the film....4 pages/≈1100 words | 2 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Movie Review |
- English III Writing Assignment: The Story Of King Lear Description: Choose a story with elements that are clearly or strongly related. For example, you might choose a story with a plot in which the setting is crucial...2 pages/≈550 words | No Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Close Reading Every Little Hurricane By Sherman AlexieDescription: Choose a passage of about one page from any of the stories in The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven by Sherman Alexie....1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | MLA | Literature & Language | Other (Not Listed) |