Capital punishment. Literature & Language Essay Paper (Essay Sample)
1. Discuss the history of capital punishment in the United States, and explain what types of crimes warrant capital punishment.
1. Choose a recent case in which an offender received capital punishment, and write a summary of the case. Be sure to include the year and location of the crime and the sentencing, as well as all important details of the case.
2. Discuss whether or not you agree with the sentencing and explain the reasoning for your stance.
Capital punishment, according to the Constitutional Rights Foundation, is the legal killing of criminals who commit various crimes. Also referred to as the death penalty, the form of punishment began in the United States during the colonial period in the 1600s. The first-ever recorded execution occurred in 1608 when Captain George Kendal, a leader in the Virginia colony, was found guilty of mutiny.
In the American colonies, it occurred as a result of many crimes such as; stealing, idol worship, witchcraft, blasphemy, and rape. Also, kidnapping, perjury, murder, assault, sodomy, and rebellion. The methods of execution commonly utilized included hanging, beheading, shooting, electrocution, and the use of poisonous gas. Today, however, lethal injection is the only method of use.
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to language essays:
- Extended Definition – The Family. Literature & Language EssayDescription: In most cases, the concept of the ‘Family’ is defined based on either its function, status, or structure relative to society. Specifically, some textbook definitions illustrate the family as a group of individuals consisting of the father and the mother, living under one roof and usually under one head...3 pages/≈825 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Bullying Literature & Language Research Paper EssayDescription: Bullying is the regular misuse of power. It is defined as aggressive behavior or deliberate harm-doing by peers that are carried out frequently and involves an imbalance of power amongst the victim and the bully. Bullying can occur directly, which includes physical and oral acts of aggression...5 pages/≈1375 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Research Paper |
- Challenges of Staying in a Foreign Country. Language EssayDescription: Staying in a country as a foreigner always comes with its own challenges and opportunities. As a young person who moved from my home country in China to the United States, I can ascertain that overcoming these challenges require you to be strong-willed and fight your own battles...2 pages/≈550 words | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |