Ableism. The American Disabilities Act (1990). Social Sciences Essay (Essay Sample)
Week 9 – Ableism
Choose a topic and write about the history of ableism and disability in that period
1) Sparta and the disabled (500 – 300 BCE)
2) Imperial Rome and the disabled (20 – 500 CE)
3) Christianity and Ableism as punishment from God (400 – 1800 CE)
4) Nazis and Ableism (1933 – 1945)
5) American Disabilities Act (1990)
6) Japanese Attack on Disabled Facility (July 26, 2016)
7) Ancient Egypt and Disability (3000 BCE – 1000 BCE)
8) Disability in Ancient China (3000 BCE – 1400 CE)
9) Any topic of your choosing professor approved
Answer the following questions in essay format. 2-3 pages. APA format. 12 Font Times New Roman only.
All work must be properly cited and unless otherwise noted; do not include pure opinion.
1) Outline the basic history of the event(s). You can use a timeline or write it out.
2) What ways was disability defined during your topic’s era?
3) How were the differently abled (disabled) treated during your topic’s time?
4) What beliefs, attitudes and values of your chosen topic’s culture influenced the way differently abled people were treated?
5) In what ways has your chosen topic’s culture or era influenced modern American ideas on the differently abled and disability?
The American Disabilities Act (1990)
The American Disabilities Act of 1990 was the first civil rights law to be passed in the nation. The law was made to address the various needs of the individuals that have disabilities, to prohibit discrimination in the public sector such as employment, telecommunications, and accommodations among others. The Congress gave allowed the law to take two years before it could take effect to ensure that the affected sectors would adjust to the changes. Between 1991 and 1992, a Technical Assistance Manual was issued by the commission to act as guidance to employers to ensure that they acted by the Act.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Depression Essays
- Conflict Essays
- Scientific Essays
- Human rights Essays
- Career Essays
- A rose for emily Essays
- Personal experiences Essays
- Things fall apart Essays
- Abraham lincoln Essays
- Heart of darkness Essays
- Suicide Essays
- Fast food Essays
- Short story Essays
- French revolution Essays
- High school Essays
- Standardized testing Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to scientific essays:
- Post Comments. Coaching 6-1,6-2,& 6-3 Social Sciences EssayDescription: Christy is of the view that she has no idea of whether her treatment plan is reliable or not. She does not even know how to progress, and she always needs the guidance and support of her supervisor. Until now, she is in the learning process and has reached out two organizations...1 page/≈275 words | No Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Leader-Member Exchange Theory. Social Sciences Case StudyDescription: Leader-member exchange theory is also known as LMX or vertical dyad linkage theory. The theory ‘focuses on the nature and quality of the relationships between a leader and his or her subordinates,’ CITATION Pow13 \l 1033 (Power, 2013). It is grounded on the assumption that all managers...4 pages/≈1100 words | 3 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Case Study |
- Soc101 Introduction To Sociology. Social Sciences EssayDescription: To better understand the changes and permanence in some social features it is necessary to consider the family history and backgrounds where different generations, and migration patterns have drawn people to different places. Social stratification implies there is a social hierarchy and a structured...3 pages/≈825 words | 2 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |