A Civil Action Literature & Language Essay Research (Essay Sample)
please be familiar with the video "a civil action", then read the attached file for instructions.
MGT 331 Business Ethics - Video Analysis – A Civil Action #1
ASSIGNMENT: After watching the video “A Civil Action” identify three of the most unethical people and or organizations. Write an essay in which you analyze each of the three including why you selected them, what they did which you deemed unethical, the results of their actions, money or results and what should have been done.
You are to also identify two entities who/which acted ethically. Tell me what they did and why you consider this ethical.
Please be specific and give examples.
FORMAT: approximately four to six pages double spaced – using Arial 10 or Times (I prefer double spaced)
New Roman 11
ASSUMPTIONS: you may make realistic assumptions to provide further detail to your analysis. You should also consider including ethical principles such as Utilitarianisms, rights, justice and or care.
COVER ALL SIDES: Present a careful and thorough analysis of the ethics or lack of ethics.
Most good essays will have 5-6 paragraphs:
- Introduction to your paper and subjects for discussion
- Paragraph for each selected entity including what, why, etc., and specific examples
- Summary paragraph
(1) Thinking: well-organized essay with clear transitions, easy to read;
good logical flow, with each point following from the last; intelligent
content/analysis with no fluff or repetition;
(2) Writing: easy-to-read, short sentences, making clear transitions from
one point to the next / one paragraph to the next; correct grammar, punctuation;
use of exactly the right words – including prepositions, conjunctions, and longer
words and phrases.
The name of any individual providing help or input to this paper must be included with their email address. (tutors, writing lab, etc.)
Due in class:
“A Civil Action”
“A Civil Action”
“A Civil Action” is one of the films that have an accurate description of a civil lawsuit. According to the film, most organizations disregard ethical standards in their operation and only have little sense of right and wrong actions. Although the core objective in organizations is to make profits, business ethics is a fundamental requirement to ensure that they have a good reputation among customers and to the general public. Therefore, organizations and individuals alike should adhere to the set ethical standards. Jan Schlichtmann is one of the moral entities as an attorney in the case that involves contamination of a water aquifer, thus causing leukemia and cancer in the community (Zaillian, 1998). Kathleen Quinlan asks the well-established lawyer to take legal action regarding the case against a company that caused the pollution. Although the lawyer was reluctant to handle the case, he accepts it after realizing he could make proceeds for suing the investors in the company. The film, “A Civil Action” depicts ethical and unethical individuals in the society based on the set standards.
According to utilitarianism theory, W.R Grace and Company, Beatrice Foods, and Jerry Facher (Beatrice attorney) are the primary entities who acted fraudulently in “A Civil Action” film. According to MacKendrick (2018), W.R Grace caused pollution by releasing non-biodegradable products to the surrounding water bodies. The act of the company emitting pollutants without considering the impact of such contaminants is unethical and compromised the health of the residents of the local community. In the film, it is apparent that the company only focuses on profit maximization without considering the impact of its activities on the environment and others living in the surrounding areas.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Slavery Essays
- Teenage pregnancy Essays
- American dream Essays
- Immigration Essays
- Racism Essays
- Global warming Essays
- Religion Essays
- Gay marriage Essays
- Police brutality Essays
- Love Essays
- Animal testing Essays
- Obesity in america Essays
- World war 1 Essays
- Martin luther king Essays
- Minimum wage Essays
- Technology Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to pollution:
- An air quality alert Health, Medicine, Nursing Speech PresentationDescription: Due to the potential health effects of air pollution, government agencies have been using an air quality index (AQI) to determine the level of air pollution and warn the public. AQI can also be used to predict the daily quality of air. Six categories are used to report air quality and each category...3 pages/≈825 words | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Speech Presentation |
- Behavior Modification Project Psychology Essay PaperDescription: We recorded in a notebook the number of times we used a vehicle and the number of times we walked to determine whether it was worth it or not. The daily record helped us track our progress and led us to identify better mechanisms to improve....2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Psychology | Essay |
- Comprehensive Analysis Literature & Language EssayDescription: The Build Your Dreams (BYD) Company is a Chinese manufacturing company that innovated Chinese-made batteries, especially as automobile parts (Rarick, Firlej, & Angriawan, 2011). The BYD believes that batteries hold the key to the future. Newer technology relies on battery life, such as mobile phones...10 pages/≈2750 words | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |