Heuristic Essay (Essay Sample)
Mental shortcuts can be both beneficial and costly. We read about heuristics in Chapter 3. In this paper, you are to find one benefit and one disadvantage associated with both the availability heuristic and the representative heuristic.
You can rely on specific examples from , the lives of people you know, the media, books, or movies. After you describe the example, discuss a better way of thinking about that particular situation. Draw on the research from the textbook or another resource on heuristics.
Aronson, E., Wilson, T. D., & Akert, R. M. (2013). Social psychology (8th ed.). Upper Saddle
River, NJ: Pearson.
13th August 2015.
Each day of our lives we are faced with situations that we really have to get our way through. We would get into much trouble if we dealt with them the same way, researching and drawing conclusions before we decide. The brain is the major thing here and it is amazing how it at times decides on some aspects in a snap. So is it possible that the brain uses mental shortcuts to decide upon matters it considers basics? If so then what strategies does it implore to achieve this aspect? It is these strategies that we herein refer to as Heuristics. This paper is going to rationalize the causes of this aspect of mental shortcut in a deeper perception. Although this rash judgment and acting increases our chances of getting where and what we want to achieve but we should also discuss what repercussions might come along as well.
It wouldn't be complete without touching on various strategies our mind uses, namely availability and representative heuristics. First there is r...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Cell phone Essays
- Art Essays
- Sociology Essays
- Capital punishment Essays
- Imperialism Essays
- Childhood obesity Essays
- Nursing career Essays
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
- Ethnography Essays
- Dance Essays
- Depression Essays
- Conflict Essays
- Scientific Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to mental illness:
- The Role of the Community and Public Health NurseDescription: What distinguishes the community and public health nurse role from the other health professionals is that the core roles and functions of the community and public health...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Comparison of Collaborative Care for a PatientDescription: The comparison of collaborative care for a patient with a mental health disorder versus a patient with a medical disorder in the acute care setting...9 pages/≈2475 words | 5 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Psychological Disorder PaperDescription: The term Schizophrenia could be elucidated as a type of mental illness that makes patients interpret normal occurrences abnormally...3 pages/≈825 words | 3 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |