5 pages/≈1375 words
Summarize: Vance v. Ball State University (Essay Sample)
I HAVE GIVEN YOU A SUMMARY OF THE POSITIONS OF THE PARTIES IN THE MATTER OF VANCE V BALL STATE. THE BRIEF OF EACH SIDE IS PRESENT. YOU NEED NOT READ ALL OF THE PAGES BUT I HAVE UPLOADED THEM, NONETHELESS. THE CASE INVOLVES THE DEFINITION OF THE TERM SUPERVISOR. PLEASE SUMMARIZE THE ISSUES IN THE CASE AND LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK THE COURT WILL DO, SECONDLY, SHOULD DO. PLEASE SHOW YOUR REASONING AS TO EACH OF THESE ISSUES. AGAIN, YOU NEED NOT READ EVERY PAGE. THESE DOCUMENTS ARE THERE TO ASSIST YOU. I EXPECT THIS TO BE AT LEAST 5 PAGES IN LENGTH. THE COVER SHEET AND REFERENCES DO NOT COUNT TOWARDS PAGE COUNT source..
Summarize a case Student: Professor: Course title: Date: Summarize a case Vance v. Ball State University Summary of the Issues in the case The court case of Maetta Vance (Petitioner) v. Ball State University is concerned about who counted and who did not count as a supervisor under Title VII. Alleging claims such as hostile work environment and retaliation, Ms. Vance, who is represented in court by Mr. Ortiz, is suing her employer for the violation of Title VII. Ms. Vance alleges that Ms. Davis of Ball State University had supervisory authority that triggered vicarious liability. Both parties were on agreement to the general legal standard that the harassers who have been conferred authority by their employers over their victims count as supervisors. They also agreed that the authority materially augments the harassment to the victims (Alderson Reporting Company (ARC), 2012). The term ‘augment’ has been used to mean that, the harassment is sufficient to instill the sense of fear in the victim, so that the harassed individual does not turn in the harasser. Moreover, it is also sufficient to the extent that the harasser has the ability to control the victim’s physical location and therefore, it can augment harassment. As Mr. Ortiz asserts, Ms. Davis’ role is considered as a supervisor and was being accused of harassment. He adds that she was a catering specialist and supervised various positions. Under the Seventh Circuit test, the category of the supervisor is the worker who has some kind of power over their victims, unlike that of the co-worker who has no power over the workers. Only those actions, which are materially adverse to the employees, count as harassment. The district court divided harassment into two categories, one consisted of events that are overtly racial in nature while the other did not. Justice Sotomayor stated that there is a difference between supervisors who have the power to take direct tangible actions and those who do n...
Get the Whole Paper!
Not exactly what you need?
Do you need a custom essay? Order right now:
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Cell phone Essays
- Art Essays
- Sociology Essays
- Capital punishment Essays
- Imperialism Essays
- Childhood obesity Essays
- POLICE SEARCH AND SEIZURE IN THE CONTEXT OF THE 4TH AMENDMENTDescription: Law Essay: Search and Seizure. POLICE SEARCH AND SEIZURE IN THE CONTEXT OF THE 4TH AMENDMENT...5 pages/≈1375 words | 2 Sources | APA | Law | Essay |
- INVESTIGATION OF AN OFFICER INVOLVED SHOOTINGDescription: Law Essay: Officer Involved Shooting. INVESTIGATION OF AN OFFICER INVOLVED SHOOTING...2 pages/≈550 words | 1 Source | APA | Law | Essay |
- Unemployment compensation and PartnershipsDescription: Law Essay: Unemployment Compensation and Partnerships...8 pages/≈2200 words | 9 Sources | APA | Law | Essay |