Kohlberg’s Stages of Moral Development into the Justice System Essay (Essay Sample)
Imagine you are the chief of police. As the chief of police, you will need to ensure that your law enforcement officers lead ethical careers. In order to prepare for this assignment, review Chapters 7 through 9 in the textbook. Then, research Kohlberg’s stages of moral development and find at least two (2) relevant articles that discuss Kohlberg’s theory, Means vs. Ends, and Kantian ethics.
Write a two to three (2-3) page paper in which you:
1. Identify and discuss the three (3) levels of Kohlberg’s stages of Moral Development, and explain how you would address each level within your department.
2. Explain how your officers can use Kohlberg’s Stages of Moral Development to evaluate three (3) types of criminals who are at different stages of moral development.
3. Illustrate two to three (2-3) ways in which you would address self-interest and pursuit of pleasure to prevent police corruption.
4. Identify and discuss at least three (3) Prima Facie Duties that you believe all of your law enforcement officers should fulfill.
5. Support your position statement with two (2) relevant and credible references, documented according to SWS. (Note: Do not use open source sites such as Ask.com, eHow.com, Answers.com, and Wikipedia.)
Identify and discuss the three (3) levels of Kohlberg’s stages of Moral Development, and explain how you would address each level within your department.
In stage 3 of Kohlberg’s stages of Moral Development, it is reiterated that there exists a social consensus by which people identify which acts are favorable and not favorable. Individuals are guided to conform into social standards, which are reinforced by approval of the social group around them. This level would be addressed in my unit by reviewing and assessing basic situations that require proper management, especially public situations. As police officers, upholding the law promotes peace and order, but it is always good to promote well-being of an organization by basic socialization and interaction that brings fun and promotes the participation of members.
Stage 4 of Kohlberg’s Moral Development theory is about how authorities become the people who dictate which are right and wrong. In our modern society, there exists institutions such as the police law enforcement units. These intitutions create a specific set of rules and laws, and which are prohibited. I will adress this in my department by organizing workshops, and review of the law and the constitution. A police officer should know the set of rules and prohibitions so that he can proper act in accordance to the will of serving and protecting his fellow men.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to police brutality:
- Campaign advertisement. Communications & Media EssayDescription: The campaign advertisement suggests that Joe Biden will support police defunding one he becomes the United States president, therefore increasing the rate of crime in the state. The campaign is enclosed around the unreturned phone call at the police station....1 page/≈275 words | APA | Communications & Media | Essay |
- "Morality and Human Nature" Law Essay Research PaperDescription: Based on the scenario, the police officer could be said to have a duty to the public to a lesser extent. The police planted evidence against a suspected believed to have raped at least ten pre-school girls, causing permanent physical and profound psychological injuries to about more than three...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Law | Essay |
- Explain three (3) important elements of ethics, morality, and integrity that will relate to . . .Description: The field I desire in the criminal justice field is to become a Police Officer, currently, I am a Corrections Officer. I apply several elements of ethics, morality, as well as integrity in my daily duties. ...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Law | Essay |