Criminal Justice Process Law Essay Research Coursework (Essay Sample)
Scenario: You have just begun your first job in the criminal justice system as a victim’s advocate for the prosecutor’s office at your local county. Review the What Is a Victim Advocate? (Links to an external site.) job description for more information.
You have been assigned Virginia Sufferer as your first person to guide through the criminal justice process from beginning through trial. She was the victim of an alleged burglary at her place of residence. Defendant Accused was arrested by warrant after Sufferer picked him out of a line up after seeing him leaving her apartment on the day of the burglary. Accused was known to the police for his prior arrests and convictions for the sale of narcotics. Police searched his home when they served the arrest warrant and found two pieces of jewelry that belonged to Sufferer. Accused was interrogated at the police station and did not admit to the crime. When questioning began at the police station, Accused asked to speak to a lawyer, but no attorney was provided.
You will present a paper that details the entire criminal justice process for a felony criminal charge for Ms. Sufferer’s benefit to understand what to expect as her case moves through the system. Make sure that you explain how the system seeks to balance effectiveness of the system, in your opinion, and provide her with your opinions on how the system can be improved.
In your paper,
Summarize all of the steps between arrest, pre-trial, trial, and appeals for the victim.
Explain to Ms. Sufferer the contingencies for each stage of the proceedings.
Address all possible outcomes.
Analyze the constitutional protections that Accused’s lawyer may be able to use as a defense at each stage of the proceeding.
Evaluate for the victim both the effectiveness of the system in dealing with criminal prosecutions
Express your ideas for changes or improvements to the system.
Provide Ms. Sufferer your recommendations to make the system fairer for all those involved.
The Criminal Justice Process Final Paper
Must be 1,500 to 2,000 words in length (not including title and references pages), double spaced, and formatted according to APA style as outlined in the Ashford Writing Center’s APA Style (Links to an external site.)
Must include a separate title page with the following:
Title of paper
Course name and number
Criminal Justice Process
Course Name and Number
Assignment Due Date
Criminal Justice Process
Criminal justice is a process that involves a series of steps starting from a criminal investigation to the release of an incarcerated offender from prison. Decision-making and rules are at the core of this process. In criminal justice, decision-making entails more than understanding the laws and their application to cases at hand. Decisions are made according to discretion. Discretion is the individual exercise of judgment to make choices regarding an alternative course of action (Asquith et al., 2016). It comes into play when law enforcement makes choices about when to question, investigate, arrest, search, or use force. Prosecutors also use discretion in deciding whether to enter into a plea bargain with a criminal or charge them with crime (Cole, Smith, & DeJong, 2018). Similarly, judges exercise individual judgment when setting bail, accepting or rejecting plea bargains, making a ruling, and sentencing. The fact that the justice system entails elements from the search of a suspect to the trial of a real criminal makes it a complex issue. Each element has contingencies to ensure equal delivery of justice throughout these complex processes.
Summary of all the Steps between Arrest, Pre-trial, and Appeals for the Victim
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Cell phone Essays
- Art Essays
- Sociology Essays
- Capital punishment Essays
- Imperialism Essays
- Childhood obesity Essays
- Nursing career Essays
- "Morality and Human Nature" Law Essay Research PaperDescription: Based on the scenario, the police officer could be said to have a duty to the public to a lesser extent. The police planted evidence against a suspected believed to have raped at least ten pre-school girls, causing permanent physical and profound psychological injuries to about more than three...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Law | Essay |
- "Is Morality Relative?" Social Siences Assignment.Description: During the 90’s, I believe that the world was adjusting to be familiar about each other’s cultural belief. Then, the internet has not yet existed, and citizens were more dogmatic to follow their own tradition, because that was how they were taught, growing up. ...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Law | Essay |
- Explain three (3) important elements of ethics, morality, and integrity that will relate to . . .Description: The field I desire in the criminal justice field is to become a Police Officer, currently, I am a Corrections Officer. I apply several elements of ethics, morality, as well as integrity in my daily duties. ...1 page/≈275 words | APA | Law | Essay |