Transitioning From Closed to Open Systems (Essay Sample)
Transitioning From Closed to Open Systems
How do effective nurse leaders and others approach problem solving and decision making in organizations? As suggested in this week’s Learning Resources, systems theory provides a valuable way to assess situations and prepare to purposefully address problems.
For this week’s Discussion, you identify an issue or process that could be improved and apply knowledge and strategies related to systems theory.
Note: You may find it helpful to view the Assignment instructions and use the same problem for this Discussion.
• Review systems theory and the difference between open and closed systems.
• Reflect on the practices and processes with which you are familiar in your organization. Identify one problematic issue or process that could be improved.
• Consider the problem from a closed-system perspective. Then think about how the issue or process you selected could be addressed by viewing it from an open-system perspective. How would the transition from a closed- to an open-system view help you and others to address the problem and improve outcomes?
Post on or before Day 3 a description of the problem that you identified in your selected organization. Explain the problem from a closed-system perspective. Then, describe how the problem could be addressed by viewing it from an open-system perspective, and explain how this modification would help you and others improve health care outcomes.
Meyer, R. M., & O’Brien-Pallas, L. L. (2010). Nursing services delivery theory: An open system approach. Journal of Advanced Nursing, 66(12), 2828–2838.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
In this article, the authors examine the effects of nursing services delivery theory in large-scale organizations. Among other benefits, this theory supports multilevel phenomena and cross-level studies, and it can guide future research and the management of nursing services.
Encyclopedia of Management. (2006). Open and closed systems. Retrieved from http://www(dot)enotes(dot)com/open-closed-systems-reference/open-closed-systems
This article outlines the differences between open and closed systems. It provides information on theories and approaches managers can take based on the system that’s in use.
Marquis, B. L., & Huston, C. J. (2012). Leadership roles and management functions in nursing: Theory and application (Laureate Education, Inc., custom ed.). Philadelphia, PA: Lippincott, Williams & Wilkins.
The general systems theory was first introduced by Ludwig von Bertalanffy. The theory talks about how different elements or unit depend on one another to deliver on certain productivity goals. There are a lot of applications for the theory relative to the different professional fields among nursing and healthcare (Encyclopedia of Management, 2006). There are two major categories which different systems can be grouped into, they are; the open and closed systems. The open systems are the ones that constantly interact with the outside environment, while the closed ones are self-sustaining without interacting with the immediate systems or environment.
Record keeping at the hospital is one of the most crucial elements especi...
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Salem witch trials Essays
- Medicinal marijuana Essays
- The yellow wallpaper Essays
- Fear Essays
- Freedom of speech Essays
- Women rights Essays
- Modest proposal Essays
- Domestic violence Essays
- The story of an hour Essays
- Hamlet Essays
- Social networking Essays
- A good man is hard to find Essays
- Illegal immigration Essays
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Long-Term Care for the ElderlyDescription: The advantages/pros of long-term care systems is that they provide essential assistance to the elderly who find it difficult to perform one or more activities of daily living ...1 page/≈275 words | 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Industrial Organizational PsychologyDescription: Write a one page Journal Assignment on your interest in becoming an I/O Psychologist compared to other types of Psychologists...1 page/≈275 words | 1 Source | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- CardiomyopathyDescription: The term cardiomyopathy could be elucidated as a heart condition occurring because of an abnormal heart muscle...3 pages/≈825 words | 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |