Coyne and Messina Articles: Part 3 - Spearman Coefficient Review (Essay Sample)
Write a paper (750-1,000 words) regarding the use of the Spearman rank correlation coefficient by Messina et al. in "The Relationship Between Patient Satisfaction and Inpatient Admissions Across Teaching and Nonteaching Hospitals."
Comment on what variables were used; whether it answered the research question; and whether the Spearman rank correlation coefficient is appropriately used, given the requirements of the Spearman rank correlation coefficient.
Prepare this assignment according to the guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
Coyne and Messina Articles: Part 3 – Spearman Coefficient Review
Your Institution of Affiliation
July 13, 2017
In this ever growing world, where the demand for better quality healthcare increases as technological innovations make methods and materials cheaper and more affordable for everyone, patient satisfaction has become one of the forefront topic. Perhaps one of the main reasons why patient satisfaction is becoming more emphasized today is the rise of “value-based care”, which emphasizes on the quality of the services provided for the patients rather than the quantity of medical attention CITATION Fro15 \l 1033 (Bendix, 2015). In line with this, the authors of the paper in focus, did a research to find out if there exist a correlation between the perceived patient satisfaction and the number of patients admitted in hospitals CITATION Mes09 \l 1033 (Messina, Scotti, Driscoll, Ganey, & Zipp, 2009). More specifically, they tried to assess these variables between teaching and non-teaching hospitals. Towards the conclusion of their paper, the authors realized that patient volume and patient satisfaction ratings have a “statistically significant and positive correlation” for teaching hospitals but not for non-teaching ones (negative correlation). According to them, the reason for this variation of statistical significance is a function of financial performance. And since both admission volume and patient satisfaction leads towards the business oriented aims of a teaching facility, a positive correlation was established. In spite of the fact that the author of this paper strongly agrees with both the methods and the conclusion posed by Messina et al., an analysis of the variables and methods utilized in the study would be done to further this.
The data for the author's study was taken from 1999 to 20003. During this five-year period data taken from seven teaching and seven non-teaching hospitals which are surveyed by Press Ganey and Associates at the state of New Jersey were opened to other parties for study and analysis. In terms of sample selection, the researchers tried to widen their focus by choosing patient records from PGA hospitals in
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Nursing career Essays
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
- Ethnography Essays
- Dance Essays
- Depression Essays
- Conflict Essays
- Scientific Essays
- Human rights Essays
- Career Essays
- A rose for emily Essays
- Personal experiences Essays
- Things fall apart Essays
- Abraham lincoln Essays
- Heart of darkness Essays
- Suicide Essays
- Fast food Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to art essays:
- Coyne and Messina Articles: Part 2 - Statistical AssessmentDescription: Use the chart in the Module 4 lecture to complete the table below to assess the appropriateness of the statistics used...4 pages/≈1100 words | 4 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Coyne and Messina Articles: Part 1 - Analysis Description: Complete the "Coyne and Messina Articles Analysis" resource. Study the information in the right-side column related to the Coyne et al. study...4 pages/≈1100 words | 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Program Evaluation Plan Part 3: Communicating ResultsDescription: Include scholarly references to support your ideas about research on the kind of program you are evaluating (population, clinical focus, counseling approach)...5 pages/≈1375 words | 8 Sources | APA | Literature & Language | Essay |