Prevention of prescription opioid misuse and abuse (Essay Sample)
About the Final Project (due Friday August 3)
The public health topic to be used for the Public Health Policy analysis is
• Prevention of prescription opioid misuse and abuse
You must choose one particular state and develop your Policy Analysis on this topic for a client of your choice at the state level.
I would strongly recommend that you use the outline I posted in Doc Sharing to construct your paper. The outline will help ensure that you include all of the five necessary components of a policy analysis. For clear descriptions and examples of how to fully and properly develop each of the five components, Chapter 14 of the Teitelbaum and Wilensky textbook is the essential resource.
As you read Chapter 14, notice that the purpose of this type of analysis is NOT to evaluate an existing law, regulation or program. The purpose is to propose some alternative policies to address the public health issue (assigned topic above) -- and then to recommend to your client the one of these options that your analysis reveals to be the most feasible and effective.
Be sure that all material has proper attribution (citations and references – fully APA compliant) and that your paper is formatted according to APA style guidelines.
Your paper should have no fewer than 12 and no more than 15 pages (excluding cover and reference pages.)
( this is the Guidelines)
It is very important that you recognize that the Policy Analysis (as described in Chapter 14 of Teitelbaum and Wilensky, 2017), is distinct and different from an ordinary research paper. It must not be simply an in depth description and assessment of a program, law, regulation, etc. that is currently in place. (You will receive little credit if you approach your final project this way.)
The purpose of the Policy Analysis is to propose NEW policies or substantive changes to existing policy -- and then do the research and analysis to be identify the best choice among the various options you are proposing.
To be able to complete the Policy Analysis for your final project, you will have to have determined the following:
• Who is the client for whom you are doing this analysis and what kinds of policies are within the purview and authority of that client?
• What is the specific objective the client wants to achieve and who is the target population?
• Which stakeholders will be the important interest groups that will take a position on your proposed policies?
• Will you want to propose options to change an existing policy – or to establish a new one?
You will need to have made these decisions in order to be able to develop three different policy options and select the best one for potential implementation.
Use this outline for your paper to ensure you clearly include and fully address all of the required elements.
POLICY ANALYSIS OUTLINE
I Problem Statement (1 sentence)
Clearly express your Problem Statement – as described and illustrated in Chapter 14 of Teitelbaum and Wilensky text. Be sure your problem statement identifies your client and the target population.
II Background (2 - 3 pages)
Describe the public health issue – focusing on those aspects that could be addressed by a new or changed public policy. Include some description of previous policy initiatives addressing this issue. (See Chapter 14 of Teitelbaum and Wilensky, 2017)
III Landscape (3 - 4 pages)
Describe stakeholders and interest groups who might support or oppose your proposed policies in light of economic, political, legal factors and other relevant factors. (See Chapter 14 of Teitelbaum and Wilensky, 2017)
IV Options (2 - 3 pages)
Propose at least three different and distinct policies (laws, regulations, legal decisions, etc.) that might effectively address the public health issues. Be sure all policies are within the purview and authority of your chosen client. Include a discussion of the pros and cons of each policy in light of factors you identified in your background and landscape section. (See Chapter 14 of Teitelbaum and Wilensky, 2017)
V Recommendation (1 – 2 pages)
Select one of the policy options you proposed and explain why it is superior to the others in terms of effectiveness and feasibility. (See Chapter 14 of Teitelbaum and Wilensky, 2017)
VI References (On separate page)
Prevention of Prescription Opioid Misuse and Abuse
Prevention of Prescription Opioid Misuse and Abuse
There is a tremendous need for the Florida Department of Health to have a policy meant for limiting the amount of opioid prescribed to patients to avoid its misuse or abuse.
Opioids are a category of drugs that are meant to relieve pain. Drugs that fall under this category include; heroin, legally prescribed pain relievers such as morphine, codeine, hydrocodone, oxycodone, and synthetic opioids like fentanyl (NIDA, 2018). The main issues that result from opioid use in Florida are
Abuse and misuse of opioids prescribed for medical purposes
Deaths resulting from an overdose of opioid drugs
Addiction to the opioid drugs
In 2017, Florida was among the six states that declared opioid abuse a public health emergency (NIDA, 2018). This came after the state experienced a gradual increase in the number of deaths related to opioid overdose from 2013 to 2016. The number of deaths related to an opioid overdose in 2016 was 2,798, which was significantly higher as compared to 2013, which was 200 (NIDA, 2018). This would mean that for every 100,000 individuals, 14.4 would die of an opioid overdose. Compared to the national death rate of 13.3 deaths per 100,000 individuals, that of Florida is higher (NIDA, 2018).
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Quantitative and Qualitative Research Studies. EssayDescription: The quantitative article selected is titled testing the reliability and efficiency of the pilot Mixed Methods Appraisal Tool (MMAT) for systematic mixed studies review and was authored by Pace, Macaulay, Salsberg, Jagosh, and Seller (2012)....2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Assignment: Windshield Survey/Community Assessment: Obesity ArkansasDescription: Arkansas has one of the highest rates in the U.S. and this includes the African American community in Levi neighborhood at North Little Rock in Pulaski County. ...3 pages/≈825 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Family Assessment Term Paper. Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): A Family Assessm. . .Description: Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) is ranked the fifth in major causes of death among adults (Pauwels & Rabe, 2004). COPD is a prevalent progressive and incurable disease among adults worldwide....10 pages/≈2750 words | 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |