A & P 1 Lab, Integumentary System Health, Medicine, Nursing Essay (Essay Sample)
Forty to fifty percent of Americans who live to the age of 65 will have skin cancer at least once. The most common types of skin cancer in the United States are basal cell carcinoma and squamous cell carcinoma. UV light exposure is the most important environmental risk factor for skin cancer. By limiting UV exposure you can reduce your chance of getting skin cancer. In the following assignment, you will learn how the skin protects itself against damaging UV rays and the common risk factors for skin cancer.
This tutorial requires Flash Player to play. If you do not have the player, go to the Flash Player download site to download the newest version of the player free of charge.
SCI: Skin Cancer Investigation. Science NetLinks. Retrieved April 16, 2018, from http://sciencenetlinks(dot)com/interactives/skindeep/interactive/index.html
PART 1: Go to the tutorial above: SCI: Skin Cancer Investigation. Begin with the Healthy Skin section and read about the three layers of the skin by clicking on the image on the right. Next answer the following questions in essay format (see the Assignment Expectations below for additional details):
1. What are the types of cells in the epidermis and how are they related to each other?
2. What is melanin and what is its role in the epidermis?
3. What is keratin and what does it do?
4. What are the two primary features of the dermis?
5. Describe the subcutaneous tissue.
To continue through the interactive, click on the right arrow at the bottom of the tutorial and enter the section Effects of the Sun and watch the animation about the benefits of the sun and risks of sunlight. Then answer these questions:
6. What are some of the benefits of the sun's UV rays?
7. How are these rays harmful?
Now go to the section titled Causes and read about how overexposure to the sun can cause skin cancer. Watch the animation on how normal cells multiply and divide to replace damaged or dead cells. Then answer these questions:
8. How do UV rays affect normal cell division?
9. Why do some people have a greater chance of developing skin cancer
compared to others?
Continue on to Tumors and answer this question:
10. What are the main differences between benign and malignant tumors?
Now click on and read the Risk Factors. Click on each factor to learn more about the risks. Then answer these questions:
11. What are the five most common modifiable risk factors of skin cancer?
12. How can where you live increase your chances of developing skin cancer?
13. How does genetics play a role?
14. What is actinic keratosis?
Organize this essay assignment using subtitles that summarize the topic from each question above. For example, to answer Question 1, use a descriptive subtitle like the following: Cells of the Epidermis.Answer each question under the subtitle using complete sentences that relate back to the question.
Your essay should be approximately 2-3 pages. Use APA formatting for your essay. Pages should have 1-inch margins, and text should be in 12-point type and double-spaced. Include a title page, an introduction, subtitles with answers to the questions, and a concluding paragraph. Remember to include in-text citations within the body of the essay referencing your resources (e.g., Murray, 2014). Also, be sure to include a reference section at the end of your assignment listing all the resources you used to complete your essay, such as required readings and any additional resources.
A helpful guide to writing a quality essay can be found in Trident's Student Guide to Writing a High-Quality Academic Paper. This guide also provides links to example essays written within APA format.
Direct quotes should be limited and must be designated by quotation marks. Paraphrased ideas must give credit to the original author, for example (Murray, 2014). Direct copying from “homework help” websites will not receive credit. Once you have completed your assignment within a Word document, please upload your final version to the Case 4 Dropbox. Please also note your Turnitin originality score and make revisions as needed. Please contact your instructor with any questions.
A & P 1 Lab, Integumentary System
A & P 1 Lab, Integumentary System
Layers of the Skin
Skin is the largest and perhaps among the most important organs of the body. The skin must protect the body from infections and injuries while also ensuring that the body temperature remains steady. There are three skin layers: epidermis, dermis, and subcutaneous tissue (Flynn & McCormack, 2009). The epidermis is the topmost layer of the skin. It contains melanocytes, squamous cells, and basal cells. Basal cells are located at the bottom of the epidermis. They must divide and form the squamous cells that produce keratin, a protein that adds reinforcement to the skin cells for protection from the sun (Flynn & McCormack, 2009). The basal layer also contains melanocytes that are responsible for creating melanin. Melanin is responsible for skin color and for protecting the skin from the effects of the sun. Skins with more melanin are normally darker.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Capital punishment Essays
- Imperialism Essays
- Childhood obesity Essays
- Nursing career Essays
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
- Ethnography Essays
- Dance Essays
- Depression Essays
- Conflict Essays
- Scientific Essays
- Human rights Essays
- Career Essays
- A rose for emily Essays
- Personal experiences Essays
- Things fall apart Essays
- Abraham lincoln Essays
- A & P 1 Lab, Nervous and Endocrine Systems Health, Medicine EssayDescription: The video provides a highlight of brain activity during three important tasks. The first of those tasks is when one watches a video that has language errors (pbslearningmedia.org, 2018). Electrodes in the brain normally record where a mistake is made and when it is made. ...3 pages/≈825 words | 4 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Coding-Evaluation & Management Health, Medicine, Nursing EssayDescription: Evaluation and management coding, which is commonly referred to as E&M coding is a process that supports medical billing. All healthcare practitioners in the United States are required to use E&M coding to receive reimbursement from programs such as Medicare and Medicaid as well as private insurance...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |
- Bedside Nursing Shift Report. Health, Medicine, Nursing EssayDescription: Nursing reporting is one of the methods used to improve nursing practice and impacts on the patients' outcomes. Bedside reporting is one of the methods utilized to quantify the outcomes through a blended form of bedside communication. It contributes to patients improvement and influences correct delivery...3 pages/≈825 words | 2 Sources | APA | Health, Medicine, Nursing | Essay |