Assignment: Practicum Journal Entry: Analyzing an Ethical Decision (Essay Sample)
Review literature for moral/ethical issues encountered by a PMHNP.
Select one of the articles you found that was published within the last 5 years to use as a focus for this assignment.
Write a 2-page paper in which you do the following:
Summarize the moral/ethical issue in the article (no more than 1 paragraph).
Describe the moral and ethical dilemmas surrounding the issue.
Analyze the ethical issue and compare them to the state health laws and regulations in your state.
Outline the process of ethical decision making you would use to address this ethical dilemma.
• Include references immediately following the content.
• Use APA style for your journal entry and references.
Journal Entry – Analyzing an Ethical Decision
Subject and Section
March 9, 2020
Every day, health practitioners experience several circumstances that would require their independent judgment. While most of these might be easily answerable, some of them require serious consideration in order to avoid an ethical problem or any future repercussions. In this paper, the author would like to discuss one of the ethical issues that psychiatric-mental health nurse practitioners (PMHNP) face in their daily lives – the need for autonomy and informed consent to treatment. This includes the decision-making process that they are required to take when choosing between effectively treating or informing the patient. Nonetheless, the author believes that knowing the guidelines of decision-making and following them strictly would help in resolving these dilemmas.
Patient Autonomy and Need to be Informed
Although patient autonomy is one of the essential aspects of a patient’s treatment, complying with the requirements of informed consent is significantly more complicated when dealing with those in the psychiatric ward. For one, patients with mental illnesses have a huge possibility of not being able to give consent,
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to ethical dilemma:
- Description of the Case & Language Case Study PaperDescription: Case 2 was chosen for the current analysis. The claim states that Terry, a supervisor in the water pollution at the environmental quality department, involved members in the enforcement section to study the deep-wall injection of harmful chemical waste by numerous petrochemical...5 pages/≈1375 words | Chicago | Literature & Language | Case Study |
- Ethical Individual Written Assignment: Toyota and Ethical DilemmaDescription: During the period between late 2009 to 2011, Toyota Motor Corporation was involved in serious ethical issues that prompted the recall of millions of vehicles after reports of fatal crashes as reported by the U.S....2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Business & Marketing | Essay |
- Nazi Parade. Social Sciences. Research Paper. AssignmentDescription: There are many instances where political leaders are faced with the dilemma of protecting free speech. However, leaders need to have a way of resolving the dilemma....3 pages/≈825 words | APA | Social Sciences | Research Paper |