Disabilities Health, Medicine, Nursing Assignment. (Essay Sample)
(Autism, Epilepsy, Anxiety disorder, Intellectual disability). For each type of disability, the student will be expected to explore what types of comorbid health conditions may be experienced, what age group is most likely to experience them, what types of resources and services are available, and strategies to advocate for individuals with a disability. Each paper is expected to be 4 pages in length.
You should be submitting the reflection papers on the readings that are in the Learning Contract. For each reading, consider what are the comorbid health conditions that are seen within each reading, based on what you are reading how would you advocate for someone to another provider or to an organization after reading this, and what would you recommend to someone with a disability so that they can advocate for themselves.
Learning Contract: DISB 2020 Health & Disabilities in Human Services
Independent Study A. PURPOSE / DESCRIPTION
Individuals with disabilities may frequently experience comorbid health conditions and need subsequent care. This course will introduce the student to comorbid health conditions, the types of health care that is needed. The role of the human service worker as an advocate will be discussed, as will the role of self-advocacy in the patient. This course is aligned with the Community and Human Services Area of Study guidelines for Skills and Diversity.
B. LEARNING OUTCOMES
1. The student will be able to identify the types of comorbid health conditions seen in individuals with a disability.
2. The student will be able to determine advocacy skills needed to work with individuals with a disability who have comorbid health conditions.
3. The student will be able to determine strategies for self-advocacy for individuals with disabilities.
C. LEARNING ACTIVITIES
The discussions and written assignments for this course require exploring information on different types of disabilities and synthesis. The instructor will look for evidence that the student has read the material and progressed through the course.
The course will require the student to select four different types of disabilities that they are interested in exploring. For each type of disability, the student will explore the different types of comorbid health conditions that are present, what types of services are available, and ways to advocate for individuals who may experience comorbid health and disability.
The topic of disability crosses gender, socioeconomic, cultural, medical, psychological, religious and political lines; the goal of the course is to educate about the complex issues associated with disability. Successful completion of the course requires you to:
• be engaged with the course study;
• participate in discussions about the material;
• complete several papers around topics of your choice
There are several criteria by which I will evaluate your written work:
• Submission and format presentation -- did you fulfill the requirements of the written assignment?
• Did you carefully edit your essays and written assignments? Did you make sure to proofread for typos, awkward or incomplete sentences, run-on sentences and paragraphs?
• Understanding and Knowledge - Did your work demonstrate a good understanding of the issues covered? Could you describe and explain what the central issues are to another person who was not familiar with the subject?
Please note that it is imperative to familiarize yourself with the issue of college standards of academic integrity. Chief among them is the issue of plagiarism. You are simply not allowed to quote without attribution. If you use anything from an author or website, you must acknowledge where you got the idea by using proper citations. This includes borrowing the tone or style of an author, in addition to their exact wording. Remember, when in doubt put a citation.
D. METHOD AND CRITERIA FOR EVALUATION
This course will utilize open educational resources. This means that resources that are free on the internet will be utilized. The student will be expected to read the information and seek others that match up project interests.
CDC (2019). Disability and health related conditions. https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/disabilityandhealth/relatedconditions.html
World Health Organization (2019). Disability and health. https://www.who.int/news-room/fact-sheets/detail/disability-and-health
Wilber, N., Mitra, M., Walker, D. K., Allen, D., Meyers, A. R., & Tupper, P. (2002). Disability as a public health issue: findings and reflections from the Massachusetts survey of secondary conditions. The Milbank quarterly, 80(2), 393–421. doi:10.1111/1468-0009.00009. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2690115/
Ulrich, M. (2014). Challenges For People With Disabilities Within The Health Care Safety Net. Health Affairs.
National Rehabilitaiton Information Center. (2016). Which health problems are most common for people aging with physical disabilities? https://www.naric.com/?q=en/content/which-health-problems-are-most-common-people-aging-physical-disabilities
Disabled World. (2019). Health and Disability: Reports, news and medical condition overviews. https://www.disabled-world.com/health/
James H Rimmer, Health Promotion for People With Disabilities: The Emerging Paradigm Shift From Disability Prevention to Prevention of Secondary Conditions, Physical Therapy, Volume 79, Issue 5, 1 May 1999, Pages 495–502, https://academic.oup.com/ptj/article/79/5/495/2837103
The student will be expected to take part in check ins with the instructor. The content of the course will be discussed and any questions will be reviewed. This can be conducted over the phone, via Skype, or via email.
The student will be expected to write at least two reflection papers. Each paper should be between 2 to 3 pages in length and will be in response to materials that have been read for the course. These should be submitted via email to the instructor.
The student will select 4 different types of disabilities. Selection of a type of disability should be discussed with the instructor. For each type of disability, the student will be expected to explore what types of comorbid health conditions may be experienced, what age group is most likely to experience them, what types of resources and services are available, and strategies to advocate for individuals with a disability. Each paper is expected to be 4 to 6 pages in length and can be submitted via email to the instructor.
E. PLAN FOR FORMATIVE ASSESSMENT
Students will receive written and/or verbal feedback on all assignments and projects. Feedback will be based on the quality of the work and the content of the ideas and materials as well as the synthesis of the material and the critical thinking demonstrated. Assignments may be returned with feedback for revision and re-submission. Feedback and grades will usually be provided within two weeks from the submission date.
Statistics reveal that approximately 20% of the total global demographics battle with at least one form of disability. In addition, most people in the population will experience one form of disability in their course of life (Disabled World, 2019). The statistics show that everyone in the world is vulnerable to become disabled, irrespective of their health stability. Disability limitations yield disorders in ailing individuals, affecting their healthy living. On the other hand, the occurrence of two or more of these illnesses in the same person generates comorbidity, which is the continuous interaction between two or more disorders that could worsen the condition of a disability (National Institute on Drug Abuse, 2018). Conditions like autism, epilepsy, anxiety disorder and intellectual disability may be accompanied by health issues that can occur once or consistently after a short while upon the realization of the first condition, worsening the health conditions of the people with disabilities.
First, autism entails problems related to communication and behavior. The situation involves a wide range of symptoms in the affected persons. However, the problem can either be a minor issue or a disability that needs long term care in medical care facilities (WebMD, 2020).
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to autism essays:
- Book Review Presentation Social Sciences Speech PresentationDescription: Queer Excursions: Retheorizing Binaries in Language, Gender, and Sexuality, is a compilation of interdisciplinary theoretical and methodological approaches to addressing the binary conceptualization intersecting between language, gender, and sexuality. The book offers diverse perspectives by using...7 pages/≈1925 words | APA | Social Sciences | Speech Presentation |
- Defining Deviance and Intersectionality Social Sciences Book ReviewDescription: Many societies around the world have established standards and basic ways of doing various things. These standards have consequently led to their beliefs and values that are passed down from one generation to the next. All members of these societies are expected and supposed to follow these standards...12 pages/≈3300 words | APA | Social Sciences | Book Review |
- The Brain of Infancy and Toddlerhood Psychology Annotated BibliographyDescription: In their article, Marrus, et al. (2018) sought to identify the functional brain networks related to gross motor scores and walking in infants that were at low and high risk for autism. The longitudinal and cross-sectional study was made up of 157 participants. The neuroimaging data and gross...2 pages/≈550 words | APA | Psychology | Annotated Bibliography |