Compare and Contrast Culture Paper Health, Medicine, Nursing Essay (Essay Sample)
It is important to identify and understand your own family culture in order to be able to understand and respect other cultures. Interview a family member, and an individual from another culture with which you are unfamiliar. Some examples of an individual from another culture to consider for the assignment include a neighbor, coworker, patient, or friend. Please inform the individuals of the purpose of this assignment and make sure you receive their consent.
Review the "Family Interview" template prior to the interview. Additional space is designated on the template for you to create three additional questions to ask both interviewees (family member and person from another culture). Additional questions should be relevant to the readings or discussion and should provide value to the interview by helping to understand culture.
Some of the questions may include:
Family beliefs: Have they changed over generations?
Educational and occupational status in the culture and in the family
Communication methods: verbal and nonverbal
Current family goals/priorities
Family member roles and organizational systems
Spiritual beliefs: current practice and death and dying
Work attitudes and structure
Using the "Family Interview" template, interview your designated family member and the person from another culture. Be sure to write your responses in a way that will assist you in writing your paper. After the interview is completed, write a paper of 750-1,000 words that includes the following:
An introductory paragraph with the reasons for selecting the interviewees.
A summary of the responses from the interview template gathered from the interviewees.
A comparison and contrast of your findings between the two interviewees.
A reflective concluding paragraph on how family roles affect the cultural domains and relationships for each individual.
Submit both the completed "Family Interview" template and the written paper" to the instructor.
Prepare this assignment according to the APA guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center. An abstract is not required.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to Turnitin. Please refer to the directions in the Student Success Center.
Compare and Contrast Culture Paper
Compare and Contrast Culture Paper
I conducted a family interview on my grandfather who is of South American origin and a neighboring grandmother of African American Origin. The interview was based on a family template attached to this paper. From the responses I gathered from this interview, I noticed several similarities between the South American Culture and the African American Culture. Briscoe (n.d.) defines culture as a collection of norms and attitudes that define the way of life in a given society. According to Durska (n.d.), culture is an important component of a society because it defines the behavior and attitude of a given society towards others. I decided to select the African American and European American aged interviewees because they comprise a bigger percentage of ethnic societies in the United States. I also settled in these ethnic groups because they have a long history of dwelling together, particularly from the age of Slave Trade and the period of the Civil War to date. My goal was to determine how history has impacted their attitudes towards life.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE
- Civil rights movement Essays
- Poetry analysis Essays
- Racial discrimination Essays
- Sociological imagination Essays
- Feminist Essays
- Industrial revolution Essays
- Culture Essays
- Drunk driving Essays
- Cell phone Essays
- Art Essays
- Sociology Essays
- Capital punishment Essays
- Imperialism Essays
- Childhood obesity Essays
- Nursing career Essays
- Physician assisted suicide Essays
You Might Also Like Other Topics Related to civil war:
- The Underground Railroad Literature & Language EssayDescription: The “Underground Railroad” is a fictional novel published by Colson Whitehead, an American author. He depicts the insecure interconnection of white and black campaigners who were helping slaves escape to freedom many years before the Civil War. Whitehead turns the Underground Railroad...2 pages/≈550 words | 3 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |
- Campus Controversy. Universities should not remove memorials or monumentsDescription: Introduction to campus activism. Activism in Universities has been on the rise over the years in the U.S. History of the monuments in universities. The monuments in universities were erected after the civil war in 1865....4 pages/≈1100 words | 4 Sources | APA | Social Sciences | Essay |
- Holocaust vs. Congo war. The Holocaust and the Congo Civil warDescription: While some of the most haunting aspects of these events were the killing of a millions of people in its conclusion, a deeper analysis of the events show that acts like these have much more in common that a simple desire to eliminate or wipe-out a particular group of individuals....4 pages/≈1100 words | 3 Sources | MLA | Literature & Language | Essay |